When hiking the trails of Kauai you can be forgiven for expecting to meet a T-Rex around the next bend, or to spot Indiana Jones... more » running by with one hand on his hat and the other grasping some ancient artifact. Hollywood is a big fan of the this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurasic Park.
The 300 foot tall Hanakapi'ai Falls is definitely a spectacle you'd expect to star on the silver screen, and certainly worthy of a 8 mile out-and-back trek.
Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery, which is why we categorize this hike as hard. Also, this route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.
• 600ft (from 50 - 500ft)
• Arrive early at the trailhead to guarantee a parking spot.
• Permits are no longer required to hike this trail, contrary to what you may read in older guidebooks.
• Permits are only required to hike the Kalalau Trail beyond the Hanakapi'ai valley which is not part of our hike.
• The hike route is prone to flash flooding, so be aware of the weather forecast and do not attempt the hike under threat of rain.
• As with all Hawaii hikes we recommend footwear with good grip, since the terrain can get muddy and slippery.