Just a few short miles from the bustle of San Francisco lies the relative peace and quiet of the Marin Headlands where you can enjoy... more » Golden Gate views among rolling hills and soaring raptors.
Our route guides you along the San Francisco bay shore past numerous side trips and on to the Golden Gate Bridge. From there we hang a left and head for the hills.
The first part of the journey into the hills consists of a constant uphill climb for around 500ft (150m) until reaching the summit of Hawk Hill. Not that you'll be too concerned however as you'll be too busy stopping frequently to admire the impressive views of the golden gate bridge and the city beyond.
Zipping downhill on the curvy coastal road will lead you quickly past even more scenery, a multitude of old military concrete defense structures and towards Point Bonita. We heartily recommend extending your journey to the Point Bonita trailhead and taking the short hike to the lighthouse at the cliff edge.
Bridge biking hours:
• Bikes have access to the bridge 24 hr/day!
• Weekdays east walkway open at all times except 3.30pm - 9pm when only the west walkway can be used.
• Weekends east walkway open at all times. West walkway is open between 5am and 9pm.
• Check the signs for seasonal adjustment of times.
• Late hour access on the east walkway uses a gate and remote buzzer system.
• Consider shortening your journey length by 3.5 miles and extending your ride downhill to Sausalito where you can take your return trip by ferry back to San Francisco.
• Be sure to pack layers of clothing so you can keep comfortable as the weather changes.
• Read the Blazing Saddles safety tips at the beginning of this guide. less «