1. The food at the Scandic Star Sollentuna is excellent as we have experienced at other Scandic visits
2. Check-in with the voucher was easy
3. Proximity to the hotel from the train station was extremely convenient.
1. We were surprised at the poor attitude from the front desk from the beginning. We had just left the Scandic Front hotel in Copenhagen and had a fairly high expectation based on that experience. When we checked into the room, we were surprised at the lack of air in the room. We could neither find the air conditioning or open a window. This is an issue due to asthma and allergies. We went back to the lobby and were told that hotels in Stockholm uniformly do not have air conditioning. When I told them about our medical issues, I was told that there is a hospital nearby. We asked if we could be upgraded to a larger room to have bit more space and air, we were told that we could have a room with a window, but to upgrade the room, since we booked with a travel agency , that we would be charged an additional 1000 SEK per night which we negotiated down to 500SEK per night. When we were at the Scandic Front, as a Scandic rewards members, we were immediately upgraded to a larger room with more space. The lobby told us that our Scandic membership was not recognized on this visit since it was not booked through a Scandic booking site. In the end, we did not see the point of upgrading the room. Every night we had the pleasure of hearing and watching every train going past our room throughout the night and early morning. I think we got 4-5 hours of sleep every night of our stay due to this disruption.
2. On the first day in the hotel, my daughters' flat iron shorted out despite using a converter. Although the desk gave us their apologies, they stated that their was nothing they could do. The same flat iron was used three days in a row at the Scandic Front without an issue, so we were surprised that this happened.
3.. On the last day of departure, I came down about 6 AM to inquire about a taxi to the cruise terminal. I was reassured that I could easily obtain at taxi for a family of 5 with 5 luggages by having the front desk call about 15-20 minutes prior to leaving. After check-out, we waited about 15 minutes and ONE taxi for 4 came to meet our family of 5. I went back in and another taxi was called that should arrive in 20-30 minutes. After about 30 minutes of waiting and a lot of anxiety for my family, I went back in and was told that it might be another hour or so and multiple taxis were called. Finally we gave up after waiting for about an hour and a half and took the train to the central station where we hailed a taxi in less than five minutes across from the Scandic hotel near the train station. After arriving at the cruise terminal, I was able to book a taxi with the same company for our return and was very surprised to the that there was never a record of the taxi company being called despite my having a confirmation number from the Scandic Star Sollentuna.
The hotel was nothing like the Scandic Front in Copenhagen. The service that we received at the Scandic Front from the room, ambience and front desk was stellar. The entire attitude at the Scandic Star Sollentuna was surprisingly sub par, with the exception of breakfast. I felt like we were treated poorly since we booked through Destination Stockholm and not the Scandic website.
The Stockholm a la Carte Card was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to all travelers. The booklet that we received was exteremly useful. We used the subway, bus and local trains extensively. The panoramic boat and bus tours were great and very informative. Stockholm is a very beautiful city rich with history and heritage and having the flexibility to hop in and out of palaces, churches, museums and even an amusement park was amazing.
Choose a room away from the train tracks to get a good nights rest
Bring your own shampoo
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC