I have stayed at both the Melia and Hospes Amerigo and I would recommend the Hospes Amerigo hands down. The architecture was great - it is an old church or convenant, I think, and it reminds me of a boutique hotel. Compared to the Melia, the rooms are 100% better - cleaner, more updated and much more "boutique". The location is perfect - it's right in the old district and there are lots of great restaurants all around. I finished each night with a cafe at the restaurant right next door.
Here's a few tips:
* If you want a quiet room, get a room facing the interior courtyard. From what I read, these are quieter but not as much light. I stayed in a street facing room on the 3rd floor - had plenty of light, but also noisy at night. I didn't mind though. I would take the light and "city sounds" over darkness any day.
* transfer price from the airport to the hotel is ridiculous - like 100 Euros. Take a cab instead.
* pool on roofdeck is not really a pool. It's a big hottub. Don't expect a true pool, but the rooftop bar seemed cool but quiet (I didn't hang out there, just looked quickly).
* bathroom is pretty open - if you're staying here with a friend, I hope you are close friends.
* got great restaurant recommendations from the staff - very surprised at how good they were and not really that touristy.
Only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is same reason as others - this is a 4 star hotel. The room was really great, but if you looked closely, it did need to be updated a bit (curtains were old) considering it was 5 star. But if you didn't tell me it was 5 star, I wouldn't have noticed.
If you're looking for a boutique-hotel, stay here!
I would come back here in a heartbeat the next time I'm in Alicante (was here for business).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
First of all we would like to thank for the time that you have spent sending us your comments.
Report response as inappropriate
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to live the atmosphere of the city center of Alicante, as there is plenty to do nearby the Hotel.
Regarding your comments about the pool and as you rightly said this area has been thought to be used for relaxation. Due to its location on the Hotel 4th floor, allows you to enjoy the best views of the Santa Barbara Castle in a quite atmosphere.
Again we would like to thank you for your nice comments and be sure that we are constantly working to ensure that your next stay is a true 5* experience and that all the service and facilities are all up to your expectations.
We are sincerely looking forward to welcome to the Hospes Amerigo very soon.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC