This was our first time in Okinawa. The only reason for us being here are the three Whale Sharks in the Aquarium. Our travel agent recommended this hotel as an economic alternative to the Bucena resort.
Given the relatively more modest price, a lot of concessions were expected. This is not a Four Seasons. As with probably many other hotels, the lack of English-speaking staff was sorely apparent. Which was a bit surprising to me given the prsence of two HUGE US military installations on the island.
We were probably the only Koreans at the resort.
The rooms are a bit spare -- your basic hotel double room with a sofa. The beds are definitely oriented for Asian guests, meaning the mattresses are ROCK hard. We also booked a connecting room to one of the Dolphin rooms, which were great, and where the beds were much softer, but I could not bring myself to sleep in a bunk bed at a hotel.
Overall, there is no adult amenity or facility at this resort that would pass above being average at best -- this includes the room, restaurant, pool facilities, etc. However, your kid will have a great time. The dolphin room is amazing. Not a sharp corner anywhere and he or she can jump around to their heart's desire. The buffet at the buffet restaurant was also memorable. Not for the adult menu but by the fact that they had a small buffet section with food for the children, and trays, etc. which were set out at a height of around 3 feet, so your kid could actually get food. I have never seen that before.
Overall, I had this impression that Japanese parents really go all out for their kids, and they take them to places like this where the adults kind of take a background role, and they go all out for the kids. Another example - they have indoor and outdoor pools, and only one portion of the outdoor pool was of an adult depth. The remainder was all for the kids.
So, I wasn't bowled over or anything, but definitely would consider coming back for another long weekend with my wife, my son, and the three Whale Sharks.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Okinawa Hotel Onna-Son
- Renaissance Onna Son
- Renaissance Okinawa Hotel
- Renaissance Onna
- Onna-Son Renaissance
- Renaissance Okinawa Resort Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious facilities of this full-scale Renaissance resort are set in a natural environment where water sports afford the main attraction. Combine nature with unrestricted views from each room overlooking the East China Sea, and then the relaxed pace of Okinawa's most popular beach resort area. The resort hotel is the closest hotel to Naha International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Marriott, Asiatravel.com Holdings, JAPANiCAN and Hotels.com so you can book your Renaissance Okinawa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.