My wife and I have just arrived from another visit to the Astra Village hotel and suites.
This is our 6th time to Kefalonia and the 4th to Astra Village. The reason we have not posted a review before is simply that we wanted to keep this delightful secret to ourselves. However, as we thought we were being selfish we have decided to write a review.
Kefalonia is a beautiful island and as yet still unspoilt and untouristy.
Whilst perhaps Svoronata is not the prettiest part of the island this area is still lovely in it's own right. As mentioned on previous reviews, the hotel is quite near the airport, but this does not detract at all. Flights only arrive and depart on certain days and never at night.
Each time we have visited Astra Village, the hotel has been in pristine tip top condition. As far as I can ascertain during winter every room is repainted and revitalised.
We have had rooms on the top floor, with full ocean views. The rooms are light, spacious airy and all have balconies. The brilliant white, thick, fluffy towels are changed every day. The white bedding is changed at least every three days, sometimes every other day. The rooms and balconies are swept, mopped and thoroughly cleaned daily. Each room has a kitchenette, which consists of sink, kettle, and two ring hob. Quite adequate if you wish to prepare a simple meal. A tea towel (which is changed daily) and washing up liquid is provided. The rooms are situated in small blocks, mostly of 4 rooms to a block, which means that rooms are very quiet All rooms have either a balcony or patio.
The reception area is well decorated with lovely works of art on the walls, which have been painted by the manageress's mother. Fresh flowers adorn the reception desk, and the whole ambience is welcoming and pleasing.
All the staff, whithout exception are delightful, being polite, friendly, courteous and very helpful.
Breakfast is continental, with various home made pastries, breads, cakes, fruits, cereals, as well as a hot choice.
The hotel is a short stroll from Ammes beach, or if you prefer the hotel pool is a lovely place to while away the day. The pool is cleaned every morning. If you walk in the opposite direction to the beach a 10 - 15 min walk will take you up into the quaint sleepy village, where on the "main road" there is a taverna, and a garage. Walk passed the garage and turn right, where you will find another two tavernas, a bar and a mini market, carry on along this road and you will come once again to the sea. Along the sea front there are a couple more tavernas. The food is very good in all the restaurants, which we have visited.
If you wish to explore this beautiful island a car is a must, however petrol is quite expensive, 1.80 euro per litre (in May). However as the island is not all that big, if a small car is hired it is not too much of a problem.
Myrtos beach, is a must see, together with Assos. Other lovely places are Poros, Sami and Ante Samos beach (Captain Correllis Mandolin) and Old Sami Acropolis is also interesting. The ride inland over the mountain is exhilerating and the scenery absolutely stunning. The hotel can arrange car hire for you, alternatively there is Greek Stones across the road.
Alternatively, if all you wish to do is relax then you need not go any further than the hotel pool, or perhaps stroll down to the beach.
This hotel is definitely one of the best we have ever stayed in and of course we will be going back.
Opening in June there will be a Spa and massage facility, which is another plus for the hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Astra Village Hotel Svoronata
- Astra Village Hotel And Suites
- Astra Village Hotel
- Astra Village Cephalonia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Astra Village Hotel Suites & Spa extends over 20 acres of green land on a gently sloping hillside stretching along a sunset-facing sandy beach, overlooking the sparkling Ionian Sea.Everything composes an unforgettable picture. Aesthetically perfect premises, breathtaking nature, warm and kindhearted people with a tradition of excellence in service are dedicated to your well being. So, whether your idea of the “perfect holiday” is relaxing on the beach to the rhythm of gentle waves, enjoying the stunning view from your pool parasol or exploring the delightful island of KEFALONIA, Astra Village Hotel is the place for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Olotels and Tingo so you can book your Astra Village Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.