We chose this hotel because it was cheap and were somewhat worried by the reviews. Upon arriving, we were surprised by exactly how steep the drive was; our taxi crawled up it very carefully. The entrance was lovely, lush plants over clean brickwork, shady in the heat. Nico was charming and very helpful; we were served with drinks whilst waiting to be taken to our apartment. An excellent introduction to the hotel and staff.
Our apartment - wow! Large open space on the ground floor, with balcony, overlooking the bay. Kitchen area, complete with fridge and cooking facilities (not needed as we were all inclusive), plenty of seating and large TV (never watched). Spiral staircase up to twin bedded room (for teenage daughter), bathroom (compact but perfectly adequate) and double room for us, complete with balcony overlooking the bay. It was serviced every day and was all clean and tidy.
The pool area was also clean and the views were fantastic - hills, bay, village. There was plenty of space, but we were early season so not many visitors were there (50 or so when we arrived) and there were times when we were in our own private villa! The gardens were well kept, lots of colour and variety, but steep in places with lots of steps. It isn't the place for people who have difficulty walking! The reception and bar were clean and bright, there was always someone in attendance. Theo was fantastic, very knowledgeable, attentive and great company. The drinks, very pleasant lager, ouso, juices, all inclusive and just as usual in these hotels. No problem with getting served, but then again, very quiet. As usual, the all inclusive deal ended at 11pm, but after a long, hard day in the sun, we were happy to call it a day.
The food - which seems to have drawn a lot of comment. IT IS A FOREIGN COUNTRY! It is Crete, there is a great deal of olive oil, and fresh olives, and tomatoes, and feta. There was variety, although not a great deal (but with so few people staying, there wasn't likely to be without wasting too much food). My daughter, who is a bit fussy, always ate well; the salad and fruit was very popular with her, and the fresh bread was also lovely. The meal times were reasonable, we were never rushed but the service was prompt; plates were not left on the table for long. The staff were also very friendly, always saying hello and smiling.
We were absolutely delighted with the success of our holiday and would be very happy to return next year. We have been influenced by how quiet the hotel was; early season and we often had the place to ourselves. I would not care to imagine what it is like when busy; I know more staff are brought in, but there must be some effect on the service. Not all paintwork is immaculate, and some of the wooden railings have seen better days. This can be put down to the effect of hot sun on it, and it may well be repaired before the height of the season. The hotel is not perfect, but it is extremely good value for such a reasonable price.
- Also Known As:
- Elpida Hotel And Apartments
- Elpida Hotel Kalo Chorio
- Elpida Hotel Apartments
- Elpida Hotel
- Elpida Hotel & Apartments Crete/Kalo Chorio, Greece
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elpida Hotel and Apartments is situated at Istron Village of Kalo Chorio only 10 Km from the picturesque Town of Agios Nicolaos. Elpida Hotel is open from May to October.This low rise village style resort is placed on the slopes of a wonderful hill only 800 meters from the sandy beaches of Istron Village. Surrounded by extravagant gardens, this colorful complex offers a wide variety of accommodation and services that can suit any type of clientele. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Elpida Hotel & Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.