Good stuff first:
1. The position of the apartments in relation to the lift and ski school is good.
Although a tiny resort, chamrousse 1700 has a large enough supermarket and La Bachat is reasonably priced for a ski resort. The other bars arent up to much.
The ski bus will take you to the other areas.
2. The pistes are well maintained but lift closing times seemed a little inconsistent.
3. With no lift pass fee this holiday was good value for money.
4. Quiet with no queues worthy of mention.
The not so good stuff mainly about Thomson:
1. As Thomson were trying to save money by putting travellers from several flights on the same coach the rep told us our wait would be an hour as our flight was early and others were late. In fact all flights were on time and we had to wait for 2+ hours on the coach before it set off. The truth would have been less frustrating.
2. The two reps in resort called Fred & Barney were out of their depth and disorganised. I gave my credit card details to one of them, he lost them and claimed he had not had them in the first place with his sidekick standing behind him. It was an inconsistent attempt at lying and I was embarrassed for them both. He offered to fetch the towells, I took him up on the offer (Thomson do not detail that there is a rental cost for them at Chamrousse - fault). He forgot so no towells. I had to go out late at night in the dark to do it myself.
3. The arrival was a farce. Thomson should not arrange early flights if Charousse if the destination if we cannot access the room until 5pm. We were told we would have a room between 2-4, it was 5pm so after a two hour wait on the coach we had another 4 hr wait in the cold resort. Fred & Barney said that the reception gave them the wrong list and did not listen to them when they tried to fix the problem. By their own admission they could not solve an issue.
4. Throughout the week I was bombarded with texts from "the team" giving a contact number if I needed them. I did at one point and having just seen them in a bar decided to call them. I got an answerphone with "Toby" as the contact who no longer works there. Not once did they answer the phone but were clearly visible in the bars. In fairness to them they would answer questions if I was lucky enough to see them on the slopes.
These two are not ready for a position of responsibility and are a poor representation for Thomson.
5. We were asked to thoroughly clean the apartment before departure to "how we found it"i.e. how the cleaners had left it, otherwise we would lose €40 from our deposits. Why then, if people are expected to clean it to that level, were we made to wait 4 hours for the apartment while the cleaners were there on arrival day? That was unacceptable.
6. Finally... the walkways and shop entrances in resort were badly iced up with no attempt to keep them clear. There was more likelyhood of injury on the paths especially down to the apartments than on the ski slopes. Constantly people were slipping and getting hurt, the report staff did little to alieviate this. It was treacherous.
I would recommend the resort but not Chamrousse Apartments 1700 or via Thomson/Crystal
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC