I have stayed at this hotel many times and after seeing some of the negative reviews thought I would give my true and honest opinion.
I love the Merengue and the Dominican Republic and here are a few of the reasons why.
The staff in the hotel are fantastic, from the Reception Staff to the gardenders, everyone will stop and smile and say good Morning.
The entertainment team NEVER stop and although the entertainment may not be to everyones taste they try ever so hard to ensure that children and adults always have something to do, if you do not want to take part, then just sit back and watch with a drink in hand, thats what I did.
Evening entertainment again may not suit everyone but you can never please everybody right? the dancers work really hard to make sure that over 14 days you have a different show on in each hotel although some of the main ones are repeated in the sister hotels Micheal Jackson show being one of the best. What you need to remember is that they work really hard and try thier best and this is clear to see.
The food, if you can not find something that you like then perhaps this is not the destination for you as you clearly must have a very particular taste in cuisine, you will have a massive choice available and can eat in the other two hotels also although not for the evening meal.
The bar staff again make sure you are well looked after and even come round the pool with a push along bar.... how good is that you do not even need to leave your sun bed :-)
The rooms are a little dated but have everything you need, and lets be honest how much time do you spend in the room? If the room is not up to your expectations then just report this to the reception who will try to sort it out as soon as they can for you.
At weekends the hotel complex will be more hectic and this is due to the fact that the local residents may book in for the weekend. Reason being that this is thier holiday time or free time with their families, they can not just jump on a flight and visit other destinations like we can, so we need to apreciate this fact. They are Dominican so friendly and fun, some may see this as loud and rude...but when in Rome just embrace the latin culture and enjoy, if not then you can always go out of the hotel for the day but remember you are in the Dominican so they have every right to be there.
All in all if you are used to top luxuary 5* all inclusives then you may have higher expectations than what the Merengue can offer. However if you want value for money, a friendly, relaxing and fun atmosphere where nothing is too much trouble then this hotel is perfect for you.
If in doubt just try it out I am sure you will love it and remember any holiday is what you make of it Enjoy xx
- Also Known As:
- Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.