The title says it all , first few days were great , then it went downhill .We were meant to be there for 17 nights !!! How can you be in a hotel that has closed and has no facilities
Then came the weekend , when the "locals" descended upon the hotel , the hotel had no idea how many guests they were expecting as they had booked "per room" not per person , so therefore had no idea how many they had to cater for ,(there were actually 7 people in the room opposite ours) our evening meal on Friday 27/04/12 was an absolute shambles - there was a significant lack of food and the food that was there was of poor quality , the "locals" were seen to be handling food with their hands , filling bags up with food , the staff did nothing to dissuade them , it was like a plague of locusts had entered the building , A free for all , with no regard for any other guests . We have no problems with other guests, they had paid , just like ourselves , the problem was that the hotel wasnt prepared or able to cope with such a high volume of people.
Standards in the hotel were slipping by the minute , the food , the cleaning , we had to ask for our bed to be changed after 5 DAYS ,and all the other services by this point were absolutely abysmal.We have had better service in a shabby travelodge than in this so called Riu 4/5 star Hotel.
On 30/04/12 we went to reception to book the Al la Carte Restaurant for our party and some friends that we had met whilst we had been at the hotel ,to be told that it was "fully booked for a private party" - how can this be ? this service should have been available to all guests. That night we found this to be yet another blatant lie , as the Al la Carte wasn't even open
We spoke to Sebastian - one of the reps (as our rep Jose wasnt available regarding the foreclosing of the hotel again we were told ALL services would remain unchanged, including the Pool Bar , Snack Bar , Beach Bar , Pool Towel Hut , Main Restaurant and Wifi . and to come and see him again the following morning at 9am after we had had breakfast in the Mambo Restaurant , which he assured us would be open as normal . the same evening we went to the Restaurant for our evening meal to find sections totally blocked off and tables totally cleared. We asked the waitress what was happening she replied that the hotel was closing that night and there would be NO further restaurant facilities until November and that she no longer had a job !!
The same day , the so called "entertainment team" who again were very poor ,spent the day getting drunk around the pool - there again , I suppose if I was losing my job the following day , I wouldn't want to put too much effort in. But actually seeing 1 of the team naked in the pool was just FAR TOO MUCH in this "Family Resort" We were absolutally disgusted.
So came 01/05/12 , we went for breakfast as normal , surprise surprise , it wasn't open , we waited for our rep Jose to arrive at the hotel, when confronted , offered to move us to another hotel - well we didnt really have a choice
We were moved to the Hotel Bachata which wasn't our choice. IF we had wanted to go to the Bachata we would have origianally booked it . We found it to be quite a nice hotel , BUT far too busy and noisy for our liking , as all reviews we had read had stated this.
We have previously holidayed with Thomsons and Riu Hotels on numerous occasions before , and had no major complaints. Why was this so called relaxing holiday such a shambles. Lack of information, communication, disorganisation and honesty are at the forefront of our complaint .
I am awaiting a reply from Thomsons , if no joy I will be writting to ABTA
We did meet some great people whilst we were there and think that it was this that kept us going - the Thomas Cook 53 and FREE THE THOMSON !" lol
- Also Known As:
- Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.