This holiday for us was just about perfect, we had such a relaxing time. the check in was smooth and very organised, the rooms although being a little dated were spotless and cleaned to perfection every day by the hard working cheerful maids, the rooms are stocked with optics and a fridge with beer, soft drinks and water, the TV is very dated but what is the point of traveling all this way and staying in your room? we cant praise then staff enough from the cleaners and gardeners right up to the top management, every one has a smile and works so hard.
the beach is fine not the best but perfectly adequate , you can always find an empty sun bed to relax on in the shade of the many palm trees or in the full Sun. the sea bed is a little rocky so i would advise taking jelly shoes or something of that ilk, all day long you will find gardeners on the beach tidying up and will fetch you a coconut or even some almonds from the surrounding trees, the almonds fall from the trees all the time but you need a machete to get at the almond. another thing that is good about the beach is that you are not bothered by looky looky men as this beech is free from them.
the entertainment staff are great and work tirelessly, please give a hug to Candy and Bon bon they made our holiday even better but I would say when you hear cheeky monkey (the entertainment boss} constantly saying a he he he you will want to throttle him but he is harmless and only doing his job,you can join in in the games and dancing lessons during the day if you like the entertainment team do not pressurise you into joining in if you don't want to. the shows at night range from being a bit naff but still entertaining to absolutely fantastic, the Africa show being the best.
now as for all the complaints about the locals at the weekend invading the place, we saw no evidence of them leaving a mess or pushing in to the queues, in fact we found them polite in the restaurant although they like to eat lots but then again so do I, they are at the hotel to have a good time the children right up to the granny's all have a smile on there faces and enjoy every minute of it all, if the hotel had as many normal guests as the Dominicans then you would have the same crowding so get over it.
would we go back? well no but i don't believe in going back to the same place again and again, but would recommend this resort to any one young or old.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.