This was our first real trip to Puerto Rico and we stayed at the Caribe HIlton for about 5 days, and we spent the first three at the El Conquistador which I will also review. Trip Advisor helped me pick this hotel so I will review and leave my impressions for those of you planning a trip. We were there during the middle of June.
Caribe Hilton has very nice grounds and because of its location gives you seclusion without taking you outside of the city. The open air lobby and bar were appealing and I thought the bar food was decent and priced fairly considering it is hotel food. The drinks were not strong, but there was one particular bartender who could make a good drink. If you tip well you end up with a better drink. The pools were very nice and could get crowded and they water was pretty warm in the afternoons because of the sun. There seemed to be enough seating for anyone who wanted a seat at the pool and we were always able to get towel service. The Lagoon looked nice, however, we opted not to utilize that area. Also the Hammocks between the lagoon and pools looked quite comfortable. I also noticed there was a basketball hoop available on the other side of the pools.
I felt the location was good. However, it depends what you want out of your trip. If you want a hotel in the middle of a busy strip with lots of action this is not the property for you. However if you want a property that is semi private and located close enough to many attractions this will work well for you. Following other trip advisor members advice we used the local bus to travel into Old San Juan, it was really easy and a very short ride at only $0.75 a person. The bus stop is a short walk away in front of the park near the hotel and Old San Juan is compact and walkable so during the day, I say don't waste your money on the cabs to Old San Juan. We also rented a car for a couple days toward the end of our trip and found the parking to be great and easy, no need to valet. Also it is easy to get from this hotel to the airport with your rental car. So all in in all the location was good but we realized we would have enjoyed staying in the Heart of Condado a little more because of the increased nightlife and food options available in that region of town. However, as I said if you don't need additional night life and food options within walking distance this location would be perfectly fine, and we did love the seclusion of this location.
The Hotel seems to be going through a transition period, there are rooms that are newer than others. Our first room was in the Garden Tower and my wife was bitten several times but some type of insect, and while the Hotel was very helpful and responsible in moving our room after this incident there inspector claimed they found nothing in the way of insects. I killed many of them while we were there. When we returned home my wife was diagnosed with strep and the doctor said it could have come from an insect, I was not bitten and I had not a sign of strep. The last bad thing was the on property gift and snack shop had hours on the door scheduled till 10pm at night and several times I went well before closing and the doors were locked. If the hours have changed update them, otherwise the store shouldn't be closed.
All in all, we would stay here again but we would have to make sure we had a new room. The Hotel Employees were all very nice.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- San Juan Caribe Hilton
- Caribe Hilton
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Hilton
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribe Hilton hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in Puerto Rico, is set on an exclusive peninsula, made up of 17 acres of lush tropical gardens. This Puerto Rico Hilton is ideally situated between historic old San Juan and the exciting Condado area, offering a secluded beach, lavish accommodations and amenities tailored to families, couples and business travelers alike. This San Juan hotel is just a 15-minute drive from Luis Munoz Marin Airport and five minutes from San Juan's new Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Venere, Agoda, Hilton Hotels, Amex, BookIt.com, Otel, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.