We just returned from our week long vacation and wedding at the Riu Palace Las Americas. The hotel was beautiful and the location is one of the best, however there were a few things they need to seriously change.
We visit Cancun every year and have always been impressed with the Wonderful Customer Service - This is not true for the Riu Palace Las Americas. Like all hotels in Cancun they have tile floors and are very slippery. Because of the humidity we know not to open the sliding doors for a long period. My sister slipped and hit her head on the corner of the wall and split her head open. We called for the hotel doctor and they charged us for coming up and saying she needed to go to the emergency room - we expected that. What we didn't expect is to be charged for the wheel chair and for the doctor to call the emergecy room $50.00
They wanted to charge us for the towels that we had to use to stop the bleeding and clean the floor - it just got rediculous.
Then the day of the wedding - BE WARE! You have to realize when you are having a destination wedding you are at their mercy and I knew my selection of flowers and choices would be limited. However I was in contact with the Three different wedding coordinators for over 6 months. Verifying, asking questions and reverifying so I knew what to expect. The day of the wedding the flowers where delivered 10 minutes before the wedding and they were NOT what I ordered. I paid extra to have White Calla Lillies and received Purple ones that were DEAD.
The hotel never appologized or recongnized that my sister fell and had to get stitches (and... NO alcohol was not involved). She fell the night before my wedding and I asked for a wheel chair to be brought up to the room to take her down to the wedding - after 30 minutes waiting I had to personally go down and demand a wheel chair. They just shrugged their shoulders about the wedding flowers and said they were out of season - it would of been nice to know before.
The resort is all-inclusive and their restaurants were hit and miss - one day the food was amazing and we would go the next day to the same buffet and it was awful! You have to make reservations to the specialty restaurants two days in advance, even though they were half empty when we finally did get into one.
If you are planning on just vacationing at the hotel it's an average Cancun hotel, if you plan on getting married Please think twice.
Cancun is such an amazing location and known for their hospitality, I think that's why I was so disappointed when the customer service. They acted like they were going out of their way just answering questions.
The spa is almost non existant, My bridal party all scheduled mani and pedis - they had one person doing all our nails (4 girls)
I wish I would of kept shopping for a different location.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Las Americas
- Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun
- Riu Palace Cancun
- Riu Las Americas
- Riu Palace
- Cancun Riu Palace
- Riu Las Americas Cancun
- Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun
- Riu Palace Las Americas Hotel
- Las Americas Cancun
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in "Corazone", Cancun???s resort area * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the hotel???s private beach * 8-storey building * 100 m/325 ft. to Hotel Riu Cancun * 120 m/390 ft. from a shopping centre * 10 km/6.2 miles from downtown Cancun * 20 km/12.5 miles from the airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Amex, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.