This WAS my favorite place to stay in Cozumel. It's cheap, friendly, has a great location only a 3 minute walk from town, and a beautiful beachside pool/ restaurant. Albeit, it's a 2 of 5 star hotel, with the rooms sparse and basic. But it worked for the money.
We've been going here for years. However, I'm scared to death to go back. The hotel is MASSIVELY infested with bedbugs (and ants and cockroaches). We found bedbugs in our mattresses, and numerous other guests found them, too. It was a focal point of discussion among guests by the pool.
BEDBUGS are a nightmare! First they bite and suck your blood while you sleep. Second, they get in your clothes and luggage. Third, they go with you in your clothes, dive gear, and luggage and then infest YOUR home!
We had to buy boxes of garbage bags in order to seal all of our luggage before getting in the car upon our return to our home airport AND change into clothes (prior to entering our car) that had been sprayed with insecticide and stored in ziplock baggies before we left Cozumel. Then, we had to systematically use heat and insecticides to decontaminate our clothing, dive gear, luggage, toiletries, etc. It took three evenings of work in order to make sure we didn't infest our homes. Everything had to be left outdoors on the back patio and treated one article at a time. We finally just threw a lot of things away that couldn't easily be decontaminated. We even had to treat the car after bringing our luggage home!
SO....if you go to this hotel, know the following: Upon entering the room, do not set your bag on the bed. First, grab a flashlight and EXTREMELY QUICKLY yank the sheets up from under the pillow and shine your flashlight at the mattress seams...look carefully...they are fast. One bedbug means there are a 1000 more you can't see (and even more eggs just waiting to hatch when you get back home). If you see one (or a 100) get the heck out. As a precaution, never put clothes in the drawers or on the bed. Keep luggage away from the bed. Never bring your luggage into the house after a trip...leave it outside. Bag your clothing in a garbage bag, tie it shut, and launder the clothes in hot water and dry on high heat. Spray the luggage with Hot Shot or Raid BedBug Killer and store the luggage in trash bags that are tied closed.
You can kill bedbugs in the following ways (we researched the heck out of this while sitting by the pool cruising the internet):
1. Wash clothes on high heat and dry on high heat.
2. Place the object in the dryer on high heat for about 40 minutes.
3. Place objects on an oven rack at 140 degrees for 3 hours minimum (don't burn the house down.)
4. Use insecticides such as pyrethrins found in Hot Shot and Raid BedBug Killer. However, keep in mind that many Bedbugs have developed resistance to poisons...so don't count on them working.
5. Place objects in a deep freezer (o degrees F) for a MINIMUM of weeks.
6. Spray high-concentration rubbing alcohol (91%) directly on the item (questionable).
If you stay at the 'Cuda and get Bedbugs that make your life misery, there is one final thing you can do....strip down naked, spray yourself with Raid, douse your house with gasoline, strike a match, run, leave all your belongings including your car behind, and move somewhere else. Hopefully, this paragraph will make you examine your room VERY carefully before unpacking. Because Bedbugs are a nightmare! And the Cuda is a giant zoo of insects!
Also, of some interest...hotel is extremely noisy during day (because of crewmembers who frequent the bar during cruise stops) and super quiet at night. Not an issue for most people.
- Also Known As:
- Barracuda Hotel
- Barracuda Hotel Cozumel
- Barracuda Cozumel
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Barracuda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.