We spent one week from June 9 to 16, 2012. We stayed in an Ocean View Infinity Pool Suite (Unit 441). We went to many Club Meds in the Caribbean and Asia and Sandals in the Bahamas and numerous high-end resorts in the Caribbean, Asia and Europe. El Dorado Maroma compares very favourably.
The people at the resort are very dedicated, professional, courteous and friendly. The hotel, restaurants, pools and surrounding premises are very well maintained and essentially look and feel like new. The view from our terrace was simply beautiful. The infinity pool was fun for an occasional dip. The terrace, two chaises-longs and a bed, is very private. The white sand beach is very large, levelled, clean and excellent for joggers. The ocean is very clear and calm. The artificial reef made of very large sandbags has something to do with it. There are lots of birds and fish (easy to see whether you decide to snorkel or not) around these reefs. You can walk probably 100 m or so to reach the reefs and the water will barely reach your knees.
Swimming, in the sense of exercise rather than just playing in the ocean, is not that easy since the water level is so low. The two pools are not for swimming laps but for "fun" and access to swim-up bars. However, we never had a problem swimming more or less straight lines for 30 minutes every day.
There is a second floor entertainment room where there is a different program every night. All very pleasant with better than expected performers.
The bars were well stocked with quality drinks, but perhaps not quite on par with high end resorts. Wines were better than average resort wines. However, with the exception of the second floor entertainment room, there is no bar you can sit or stand around, unless you go into the pool. Of course, all you need is ask and the favoured drink will be brought to you wherever you are, but a "regular" bar would be nice.
Food was very good and varied. In our view this resort has one of the best resort restaurants. All a la carte, although at breakfast and noon the beachfront restaurant offers some help yourself dishes and a station for eggs and a grill, in addition to a la carte and daily specials. Good variety of fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, beef, lamb and pork. Good cappuccino in the morning with an extra shot of espresso. Of course there are the excellent fajitas, burritos, quesadillas and the likes at just about any time of the day. If your restaurant does not offer them, they will bring them from another restaurant. The Sabores restaurant offers a different specialty menu every dinner. All very good, the Mexican and Asian perhaps the best. The Italian is good as well, but the pasta cooking time could be reduced for an "al dente" texture. The staff is simply excellent. Our room was always made impeccably clean with fresh towels and toiletteries. The staff makes a point in learning your name and remembering you every day and, most importantly, remembering that my wife likes a Cosmopolitan and I a shot of Don Julio tequila before dinner. The staff is a major asset. Cindy, Javier, Brenda and their colleagues at the restaurants welcomed us daily whatever the time and made us feel as if the whole resort was there for us. We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to go back.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- El Dorado Maroma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma Resort
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of Travel Channels Top Ten Beaches in the World, El Dorado Maroma is an upscale, exclusive Caribbean resort for romantic couples and active vacationers alike. Intimate and beachfront. Rustic and luxurious at the same time. the hotel provides outstanding services and gourmet cuisine. Receive personalized butler and concierge service, arrive with style with a champagne check in. It is rustic, because it is not pretentious and was built using traditional materials and with the philosophy of embracing the bounty of the nature and the local environment. It lies directly on the beach of Maroma, considered to be one of the best beaches in the world by independent reviewers, including the Discovery Channel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.