Thinking about a trip to Mexico? Fancy a little luxury, good food and a chance to relax on a lovely beach then you could do far worse than visiting the Riu Yacatan in playacar. I visited this hotel twice last year, which is rare for me as I am very fussy about where I stay however this hotel impressed at every level. Staff were always attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Despite my visits being some six months apart I was remembered and greeted with a very warm welcome especially by the staff in the pool side bars.
I booked my holiday through Thomson and despite the seats on the aeroplane being a little too close the journey was fine and transfers were carried out speedily.
The Rio Yacatan is in a quieter area of playcar to the south of Playa Del Carmen and is located on a guarded Avenue which made us feel quite safe in that area. If you're looking for a lively youngsters holiday I suggest go to Cancun however at my age (a young 60) I needed a quieter resort with that little touch of elegance.
The beach is immediately at the rear of the hotel and offers a wide expanse of sand with some free watersports including catamarans and kayaks. Beach volleyball was played daily however I chose to observe the activities of the younger set from my free sun lounger located under the palm trees on the beach.
The main restaurant is located in the Hotel's reception building, in my opinion this serves the best meals and the most variety, if you want authentic Mexican food you can find it here, together with a wide variety dishes from around the world, lots of seafood even pizzas made to order if you ask very nicely. Unfortunately good wine doesn't appear to have reached Mexico yet and quite honestly if you can buy a bottle outside in the shops that is to your taste take it with you they were quite happy to serve it for you, at least they did for me. There are other restaurants on site but I found them a little disappointing but hey each to there own. It was lovely to sit on the remain restaurants veranda for a cooked breakfast and a glass of buck fizz, although the tea was fine too provided you asked for two tea bags!
The shows were entertaining, typical though of an all-inclusive resort, nice to watch from the comfort of a pool side bar seat in the early evenings.
I suppose the best part of this holiday was meeting with other guests from different parts of the world, I enjoyed some lovely company had lots of laughs which is not always easy when you travel on your own as I did on the first occasion I visited.
Do not miss out on a trip to Xhe ha and go snorkelling, this is an amazing experience and one not to be missed.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend a holiday at this resort it is extremely good value for money and I do not believe you would be disappointed.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Yucatan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. from various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Amex, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.