They really did a great job at riu palace mexico. The service was simply wonderful; the staff was friendly, and couldn't do enough to help you. Often, especially at meals, they anticipated your request before you could even ask. The resort, both indoors and outdoors, is quite beautiful, and beautifully appointed. Many resorts exhibit money spent, but this one exhibited taste as well. The beach is beautiful and clean. The rooms are very comfortable; everything works (including the air conditioning), and each day the room was made spotless by the cleaning staff.
The food at the buffet was a pleasant surprise; we figured there'd be a lot of it, and that it would be OK. Well, there was a lot of it, with tremendous variety, but it was also really good; fresh, perfectly cooked, and with plenty of flavor. In fact, it was good enough that we never ate at any of the "special" restaurants (where the seating times -- 6:30 and 8:45 -- were either too early or too late, and where the surroundings were not as romantic or festive as the lovely outdoor palazzo that serves the buffet). And the waiters were always right there to bring you another drink to go with your meal, or to refill your coffee. Often, again, you didn't even have to ask.
We can always "nitpick" a little bit. The evening "entertainment" was mediocre, and could certainly be improved. The water in the pool, because it is so shallow, becomes so warm in the afternoon that it is not refreshing to swim in. Bartenders at the pool and beach bars should pour sufficient alcohol into the drinks, whether or not the customer has "tip" money in his hand. As some other visitors have written, there is sometimes a certain "musty" smell (which may be unavoidable in the hot, humid climate); but, to be honest, we got used to it within 5 minutes of entering a room, and by the third day we had forgotten about it completely.
Overall, a beautiful resort that gives great value for the money.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico
- Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.