My husband and I just stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico and wish we had at least booked at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. The Riu Mexico was full of Europeans smoking everywhere! On the beach, at the pool, in the hallways, all outdoor patios and seating areas, in the theatre, you name it. The Riu Riviera had more Americans (who tend to smoke a LOT less), and the pool area was WAY more fun, with better in-pool lounging. I am pregnant right now, and the Riu Mexico had only step-down ladders to enter the pool (not optimal for me) while the Riviera Maya property had steps down.
In addition, I checked and read these reviews before I booked and these properties seemed to get such good results. BUT, I don't know how low the standards are for people, but apparently low because the food was TERRIBLE. Really low quality, and very few healthy options.
The room was fine, the entertainment was fairly poor. We had to move our room after the first night because the entertainment was SO loud until at least midnight. After we moved it was quiet. I suggest a room near the pool and not near the lobby for quiet. The beach was very nice (excepting that every other person there considered the beach their personal ashtray) and the ocean was beautiful. The Riviera property had a more private beach feel.
Bottom line, I don't trust Tripadvisor anymore since this property had such great reviews but I considered it pretty bad. I would not return to the Riu--and probably won't go to another all-inclusive ever again. Food is too important to me. And as far as my husband was concerned, the alcohol was watered down.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico
- Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.