I don't think there is much doubt that this place is, in theory the best family accommodation in Banff. With the kids playzone, water slides, pool, sauna and whirlpool, you have a number of recreational activities, and with full kitchen facilities and utensils, you can cook as you please. The laundry and grocery facilities on site provide a further bonus, and the front desk staff are friendly.
Ok...here goes.... This place is a live wire, where our whole family got zapped with everything we touched, including each other at times! Our family of 6 adults and a child got zapped about 45 times in total through our 4 day stay, and 4 of us are not zap prone... If you know what I mean. I was surprised that this was the only place of 4 in our 2 week holiday that this happened, and reading up on it, it seems that some facilities can be more prone, more so in the winter. It seems that there are certain steps that can be taken to reduce the incidence of zapping, although it is not totally avoidable in the cold and dry weather. You can't really have a relaxing holiday with the fear of being zapped with everything you touch...!
Secondly, neither the air conditioning nor the heaters would work. On some days we stayed it came down to sub zero Celsius and we needed the heating but did not have any, and on some days, the afternoon would get warm, and we did not have air conditioning, as it was turned off at the mains until summer. I believe that the advertisement of air conditioning in the room was misleading to say the least.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 BRAND NEW giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Free WiFi and internet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.