Our family booked here for a tour of York and surroundings. Dont believe the pics ! Beware ! The rooms were noisy by the cars passing by outside and we could hardly sleep because the windows were of single glass held by old wood.
We easked for a writing table and a proper chair, because all there was a small cabinet with shelves. The chair was made of plastic and was a lounge chair of the cheapest kind. It was noisy all throughout our stay because cars passed below the windows and this went on until the wee hours of the morning ! It was pure agony. Reception didnt know if there was laundry service and told me to ask the waitresses ! Breakfast was completely burnt toast and the waitress argued it wasnt burnt despite its brownish blackish color all throughout ! Everything else was oily in the plate and no one bothered to wipe it at the kitchen. At the other table, some men were also arguing about the food and told the waitress to tell the kitchen staff that food sucks.
Since its summer, we asked if there was an electric fan and there was none. No other writing chair either. WHAT COULD BE MORE IMPORTANT ? a writing desk and chair OR A FILING CABINET WITH 5 SHELVES ????????? Very stupid hotel.
Dinner was a salad and bread but they forgot to add dressing. Neither was it made available. That costs 15 pounds or so. We will never, ever stay in this hotel again !
Make sure you specify quiet rooms away from the road and theres laundry service.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
9 August 2012
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and would like to address your points as there are a few issues which are factually incorrect.
Report response as inappropriate
1. I am unsure why you refer to a filing cabinet as our room furniture is a combination of wardrobes, drawers, tall boy drawers and desks. Some rooms don't have a desk due to layout issues - if this is a problem for a guest, we would normally be able to move them but that does depend on how busy we are unfortunately. There are no filing cabinets in any rooms.
2. The food - I am sorry you did not enjoy it but a little confused about your issues with the toast as this is made by guests themselves so they can choose whether it is lightly or strongly toasted. Our reviews on all sites generally give the thumbs up for the food so I am very suprised at your comments.
3. With regards to the dinner, £14.95 is the fixed price for a 2 course meal, not just one course and I would be happy to refund you if you let me know your name and date of stay and I will check your bill - it is virtualy impossible for you to have ben charged £15 for one course and I believe that you would actually have had 2 courses for this price.
4. Our chairs are designed to fit to be a comfortable supported seat and are very pleasant to sit in and certainly not cheap as you suggest.
5. We do have a laundry service - it is not used often as we are generally a short stay hotel, however my Receptionist directed you to the waitress knowing that she would have been able to assist you in that matter.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC