I absolutely adore this hotel and want to start by saying the best thing about it is the staff.
We arrived around midday and were greeted by a friendly receptionist who asked about our journey, how long it took to reach London, what the views were like from the train (bless!) and offering sincere apologies that the room wasn't ready at midday when I'd already said we didn't need the room until later, we just wanted to register and leave our luggage.
The concierges were also lovely, very affable chaps who asked if we knew our way around before we headed out and offered maps and guides.
I hadn't realised how close we were to all the places we wanted to visit, the hotel is so well located: ten minutes walk and you're at Westminster Bridge, five minutes in the opposite direction and you're at Buckingham Palace and about ten minutes from Victoria station.
The area is very quiet at the weekend in the evening, all the bars and restaurants close due to it's proximity to The City: there's no-one about and it feels very safe for central London (New Scotland Yard is just around the corner after all). We wandered through St James's Park and it's a lovely meander up through Green Park to visit Mayfair and Piccadilly and there are a few good traditional-style pubs in the area.
When it comes to dining we opted to stick with the hotel. On the first evening we had a bar meal which was very good (and the cocktails are fantastic). On our second night we tried Bank and had a fantastic steak dinner, sourced from Allen's of Mayfair.
Also on the second night of our stay we had after-dinner drinks in the hotel bar and the staff were so attentive when my partner went out to the courtyard for a cigarette, I was alone for a few minutes and the female bar staff checked I was ok, did I need anything? All without being in the least bit intrusive.
And so the room: slightly on the small side but had everything you might need. A smoking room was allocated as requested and a view of the courtyard. The minibar was well stocked and the bed/bedlinen lovely. My only gripe is that the bathroom, although well-appointed was rather dusty. That is honestly the only negative thing I can say about this hotel.
The checkout was also seamless, the doormen were charming, decor, food and location fantastic and the courtyard is absolutely delightful, particularly when filled with the sound of live opera on a summer's evening, but to reiterate: the best thing about St James's Court is the staff. I long to return.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London - St. James Hotel
- Crowne Plaza London - St. James Hotel London
- Crowne Plaza London
- London Crowne Plaza
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We look forward to welcoming you to Crowne Plaza London-St James, a traditional deluxe four star hotel in central London. Close to Buckingham Palace, The Houses of Parliament, the London Eye and Victoria Station, the hotel couldn't be better positioned for your business and leisure needs. This central London four star deluxe hotel offers supremely comfortable accommodation, excellent service and high speed internet access. You'll be spoilt for choice for somewhere to eat at the Crowne Plaza London-St James. The hotel boasts three excellent restaurants, including the Michelin-starred restaurant Quilon serving South-west coastal Indian cuisine, Bistro 51 serving a selection of international cuisines and Bank Westminster which serves classic British fare with a modern twist. This summer enjoy an al fresco dining experience at the Courtyard at 51, London's most secret hidden gem.Spa at 51 is the in-house spa and fitness centre. Unwind with a luxurious Anne Sémonin face or body treatment. The original pioneer of the 'a la carte' spa concept, Anne Sémonin has designed a bespoke treatment menu, fully trained all staff, and provided products and signature finishing touches to the Spa at 51. Alternatively, submit to the rigorous demands of a personal trainer. The Spa at 51 exclusively hosts Osmium for men - a natural grooming range developed especially for men. Afterwards, walk through our beautiful, award-winning, courtyard garden, surrounded by the Victorian buildings of the Crowne Plaza London St James. A peaceful oasis in the centre of London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, EasyToBook, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Crowne Plaza London - St. James reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.