I will never stay at another holiday Inn, nor will I recommend your organization to anyone. In fact, I will go out of my way to tell whoever chooses to listen about my horrible experiences at your hotel.
On May 28th, I informed the reception area that the air conditioning was not working in my room. They told me they would take care if it. I also asked for more towels. Nothing was done.
On May 29th, I again informed the hotel I had no air, again I was told it would be taken care of. Once again nothing was done and no extra towels were left.
On May 30th, I asked to speak to the manager. I was changed to another room.
Extra towels were provided.
On May 30th, my daughter’s TV did not work in her room. A fuse had blown.
On May 31st, my TV did not work. A fuse had blown.
On June 4th, my daughter’s TV did not work in her room. A fuse had blown.
On June 10th, at approximately 1 am in the morning, I heard a large SNAP, and saw a flash of light (I was asleep) and smelled something burning. My TV had blown out – it was not turned on – and had caused all the electricity in my room to go out. I called reception and 2 gentlemen came up (without flashlights – they asked me to hold the room door open so they could see with the light from the hall), but could not fix the problem. As it was so late and I had been asleep, I told them I would move in the morning. Morning came and I had to dress/shower in the dark. I finally had to call reception. I was moved to what I thought was a
nice suite. The manager also told me an adjustment would be made to my bill.
On June 11th, I went to unplug my mobile phone from the charger, which was attached to the outlet with a grounded UK adapter. I felt a large shock, heard a snap and there was a flash – my charger was burnt out and my hand and the charger were black. This was an Apple charger and had been used before with no problems, in this hotel and in a hotel in Rome with no problems. Reception again came up and reset the electricity. They seemed unconcerned that my charger had been destroyed and that my fingers were black.
Upon check out on June 12th, reception had no record of an adjustment made to the bill and there was no manager at the hotel to speak to. My mobile phone number was taken and I was told I would receive a call before our plane took off at 11 am that morning. I received no call. And I have not received any calls since.
This hotel should be closed and its entire electrical system re-worked. It is a dangerous situation and an accident waiting to happen. I paid my entire bill in good faith, but fully expect to be refunded for my inconvience and for the destruction of my mobile charger ( cost $80 US dollars).
A few other things to bring to your attention:
•The towels in this hotel are stained and very, very rough. An earlier review stated they have been replaced.
•There is no security chain on the door and no way to double lock the door.
•Housekeeping is very irresponsible and does not reply to requests. We ran out of toilet paper twice.
The only positive thing about this hotel is its location and the staff in the restaurant. Other than that it is the poorest quality hotel I’ve ever stayed at in my entire life.
I will never stay at another Holiday Inn. I will not recommend your hotels to anyone and will do what I can to tell family, friends etc. about my experiences.
I had expected more of your organization; I have never stayed in a hotel that I was afraid to sleep in for fear of an electrical fire. The thought of it is insane.
I expect to hear from you regarding a credit for both my inconveniences and for the destruction of my property. Photos were taken and are being mailed to your corporate offices.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
13 July 2008
Report response as inappropriate
May I start by apologizing most sincerely and expressing my personal disappointment that your recent stay was spoilt by shortcomings in our maintenance standards.
I would like to, if I may, address all the points concerning the hotel that you brought to our attention.
I can confirm that every room in the hotel (including the ones that you occupied during your visit) is equipped with a security chain to enable the double locking of guest doors. It is not in the style of a traditional deadbolt and you may not have noticed the compact fitting above the door handle on the inside of your room. In my personal letter to you I’ve attached two photos for your reference.
To reiterate my earlier statement, and as a direct result of guest comments, we have changed our linen supplier and are enjoying a trouble free relationship thus far – the full changeover happened on the 19th of June and I am happy to report that all our guests do approve of the choice we have made. Your comment on this matter is valid and I only wish you could have had the chance to see this changeover while you were with us.
To look through the chronology of your experiences is unsettling reading for someone who takes pride in the services that our hotel offers. The fact that your personal e-mail and Trip-advisor review was the first time that the management team was made aware of your concerns during your stay is clear that there was a communication breakdown between shifts. In order to avoid any repetition of this situation we have re-trained all our teams on our complain handling procedures and are monitoring the same to ensure that all our guests are completely satisfied with their stay with us.
With regards to your concern about our electricity supply to the rooms, the Holiday Inn Camden Lock does possess a valid electrical certificate attesting to the safety of our circuits. In addition to this, all our in-room appliances are PAT tested on a yearly basis to ensure their individual safety. We do follow strict health & safety guidelines to ensure the wellbeing of all our guests. I would be more than happy to send you a copy of the Electrical Certificate if you wish so.
The television that caused you to be moved on the 10th of June was investigated at the time by our external entertainment supplier and not found to be defective; it just needed to be reset as the internal safety mechanism tripped when a surge was detected. The television was not removed from the room and has been used this subsequent month without any further incident.
We have liaised with our engineers regarding the technicalities of the electrical supply and their report indicated that in North America and continental Europe a lower voltage or a different plug is found in the mains socket than in the UK. The adaptor that you were using may just have facilitated the use of the plug socket and not have acted as a step-up transformer as is required to enable items suited to 110v to be used with our 220v system. An inappropriate adaptor would lead to potentially dangerous power surges and the hotel’s defense (our fuse breakers) would trip. In your case, the fuses tripped an exceptional number of times during your stay. If our staff had investigated the cause of the electrical faults at the time they may have discovered the root cause and avoided any further problems, including damage to your Apple charger. These were clear symptoms and my team failed to act on this correctly. As such we accept full liability for the damage to your charger and will cover any related costs to its replacement. Kindly fax / email / post us a copy of your receipt when you purchase your replacement and we will reimburse this amount to you credit card. I do have a request please; the engineering department would be appreciative if you could post us the damaged adapter as they need to further investigate this issue. I am sure we will have guests using this type of adapter in the future & I would like to ensure that my team can find a better solution to reduce any inconvenience to the guest.
I am deeply disappointed to find that my team did not turn around this situation correctly during your stay. It is our policy to ensure that we always exceed our guests’ expectations and we were unable to do the same for you. I offer you our most sincere apologies and hope that in our communication here we can at least go someway to restoring your faith in our hotel & brand. In the personal letter that I’ve sent you I’ve sent you a goodwill gesture that I trust will meet your expectations.
If this is agreeable to you, do let me know and I will do the needful on our end. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further help, or if you need more clarifications on any of the issues mentioned in your letter.
Thank you once again for your patience while waiting for our answer and a full report.
With warmest regards,
Deputy General Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC