My husband and I were pleasantly surprised with the Oxford YHA backpackers. It was quite modern and the rooms were very comfortable and clean. We stayed in a private room. The shower and toilet facilities were excellent. The showers were large and offered great privacy. There was also plenty of room inside the cubicle to get changed without getting your clothes all wet..plus hooks to hang a bag or towel. We never had to wait for a shower or a toilet. Plus we had a basin in our room also and a large mirror.
The wifi was good, although you have to use it in the common area. We sometimes were able to connect in our room (I think because we were one floor up from the common room near the stairwell) but it was inconsistent.
Of course no place is perfect and it is a budget accommodation option so I admit the mattress was a little tough after a few nights and the pillows not the greatest...but for good nightly rates...we got better than what we paid for I believe.
The lockers were large and the bunks had individual little bedside lights and power points and a small shelf where you can charge your phone overnight or put a drink bottle.
The kitchen was excellent. Well equipped and we left food in the fridge in a bag and none took it. We saved a lot by being able to keep food in the fridge and cook our own food.
We also used the laundry a bit and it was good.
The location is also perfect as you are right next to Oxford Street if you want to go shopping, there is a Marks and Spencer and Tesco nearby if you need food (even just something to heat up in the microwave if you can't be bothered cooking) and it is close to the tube. You're also just around the corner from Covent Garden and Chinatown.
I recommend this out of the 4 budget places I stayed at in London in October 2011. This is far better than Piccadilly Backpackers if you are trying to choose. This is also more suitable for families with children than Piccadilly.
- Also Known As:
- Oxford Street Youth Hotel London
- Oxford Street Youth Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and stay in the heart of bohemian London. YHA Oxford Street is a modern backpackers hostel offering comfortable yet cheap accommodation in London’s West End and offers an eclectic mix of cafes, pubs, cinemas, quirky boutiques and a great alternative nightlife, all within a 5 minute walking distance of the hostel.This is a busy city centre hostel offering a range of 3 and 4 bed dorms, twin bunk or double bed private rooms, all with shared facilities. Breakfast is available daily as well as a fully equipped self catering kitchen. Our cafe/bar offers a range of hot and cold beverages to refresh you after a long day of sightseeing or prepare you for a night out. Families with young children might prefer YHA London Central, YHA St Pancras or YHA St Paul's for a quieter London break. This hostel is not suitable for groups of more than 8 people- see YHA Thameside or YHA Holland Park. We apologise, but due to the building architecture we have no wheelchair accessible facilities at YHA Oxford Street, the lift only goes as far as our 3rd floor reception. Access to rooms on level 4 and 5 is by stairs. Our nearest hostels with full access is YHA London Central or YHA St Pancras. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your YHA Oxford Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.