Stopped at No.30 during Feb half term and found the experience rather disappointing.
First things first, from the brochure:
Dish-washer - Check
Upside down house - Check
Balcony - Check
Beds for 6 - Check
Gas barbecue - ? if it existed it was covered by an invisibility cloak!
Laundry - not informed of presence, but reading reviews not worth bothering.
Pool - Check
Good views - check
Firstly a positive view; the view is brilliant, the location is great as long as you don't mid driving everywhere, Whitby is a lovely place and there is plenty to do in the locality.
We arrived on Saturday afternoon to a friendly reception and collected the key to our discovery cottage with an upside down design by "Ayton", presumably now unemployed judging by our experience of this concept. We booked our break based on the family sell, but this failed us on several levels:
1. Upside down concept - loads of noise transmitted down by the children when they woke early every morning causing what sounded like a riot, I am surprised the neighbours didn't come around banging on our door.
2. Heating, during our stay there were variations of temperature of 16 degrees but the storage heaters never failed to disappoint, the downstairs varied from ice age cold to only freezing and upstairs was stuffy to boiling. The convection heater under the stairs was found isolated and when we found how to switch it on smoke from accumulated dust burning were emitted.
3. Interior, not mentioned in the brochure was the fact that the properties were privately owned, ours was decorated very cheaply, for some strange reason all of the doors were replaced by gates that the children couldn't operate and creaked like there were ghosts in the place. The double bed in the main bedroom was minute and all of the mirrors appeared to have been mounted by midgets.
4. Balcony, yes it was there with 2 seats and a table, where on earth 6 people were expected to sit defies me.
5. Dishwasher, yes it was there in a kitchen that was rather small with a horrible hob, oven that didn't cook as per instructions and tiny fridge (not suitable for 4 never mind 6) but it was not plumbed in!
6. Bathroom, a horrible bathroom existed for all of us, the toilet gave off a nasty smell and the in bath shower and screen were dingy. There was a bath but of the miniature type not suitable for anyone other than small children. The toilet creaked so loud I had to buy a can of WD40 to stop the noise.
7. Safety, none of the appliances were in date for PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) and many parts had never been tested. The Hoover when operated gave off a nauseating smell, the bathroom and kitchen floors were not clean.
8. Entertainment, there is none! In the property there was a DVD player that would only play 50% of our DVDs at best and we had to disconnect the crappy freesat viewer to plug this in, the stereo provided was actually an ALBA portable player with the antenna missing. We couldn't find the gas barbecue.
It is a shame because this place has so much potential.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC