Our stay was part of their Priority Club programme, so on this occasion we had nothing to pay (had some loyalty points kicking about for the last 5-6 yrs and decided to use them); so my review is based on the fact that our one night B&B stay had not cost us anything. One of the fastest check- ins that we had experienced (Mohammad was very slick). Our room overlooked the front of the hotel which was a big advantage for later in night.
This hotel was selected as we wanted to go to the cinema in the evening and only wanted to have some fast food (see Oxy Chinese Restaurant review); don’t stay here if you think you will be able to walk into Oxford for a night out, however we found the location just what we wanted.
The bedroom was very clean, as was the shower room. The only complaint was that the bed was horrendous – very uncomfortable for us, but as always that is personal taste.
In the evening we walked past the football ground to the Vue cinema which is about 5 mins away. Good meal and film and walked back at about 22:15. As we left the cinema we heard some loud music/noise. As we walked towards the hotel we again past the football ground and that was where the music was coming from. The reception area of the football ground is fronted in large panels of glass and I thought the noise coming from the “nightclub” there was going to shatter the front of the building. The club was well policed, but it was like having your head next to a subwoofer with the sound turned up – a deep throb of sound. Nothing wrong with this, but the hotel is not that far away from where this was happening. This is why I mentioned where our room was, as even when we got back inside and it was facing away this deep throb of sound could just about be heard –I just would not have liked to have been at the back of the hotel facing the football ground; we weren’t so all was OK!
Breakfast was basic – I always feel that with a little more thought (obviously expense as well) it would have been a much better experience. The bread really was like cardboard – would be interesting to know how much they save by having such a cheap quality bread. Also the sausages could be slightly of better quality – otherwise perfectly good to start the day. Not too keen to see the sign “food for consumption on the premises” (or words of a similar nature) as compared to many, many other places I really don’t think the food here was of the quality that warranted anyone taking anything with them (but we were not complaining as it set us up for the day).
A free night so cannot be bad!!!
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Oxford Hotel Oxford
- Holiday Inn Express Oxford Hotel
- Holiday Inn Oxford
- Oxford Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Express by Holiday Inn Hotel, Kassam Stadium-Oxford is ideally situated for business or pleasure. By car only 14 minutes from Oxford city centre, one hour from Heathrow Airport and an ideal base for exploring the Cotswolds or visiting one of the Oxford theatres, BMW Mini or the John Radcliffe Hospital . Popular local attractions include: Ashmolean Museum, Botanic Gardens, Pitt Rivers Museum, Blenheim Palace, Bicester Village, Oxford University, walking tours, punting on the river and many more.The Express is next door to the Quadrangle Conference Centre & Kassam Stadium and a few minutes walk from Oxford Science Park. There are plenty of entertainment facilities within 5 minutes walk of the hotel: including two restaurants, 11 screen cinema, 10 pin bowling, Gala bingo, children's activity centre and leisure club. The Leisure Club has a 20m Swimming Pool, with a large gym with steam room, sauna spa pool and various aerobics classes (must book). Guests staying at the hotel can buy a pass for the leisure club for only 5. The Express by Holiday Inn has a Meet Smart conference room, ideal for meetings for up to 30. High speed wireless Internet is available throughout the hotel.Maximum 3 adults per room, supplement for third adult. All rooms are non-smoking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Oxford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.