I booked an overnight stay for 9 of my family at the Celtic Manor Resort to celebrate my mum-in-law's 80th birthday. What a fabulous time we had and we've some cherished memories.
I am on the CMR's mailing list and received an offer through email. It really was excellent value.
I booked 5 rooms, as there were 4 couples and my mum-in-law.
When we checked in to our rooms, there was a little gift and card from the hotel to my mum-in-law----a lovely touch. Our rooms were lovely and comfortable, and the bathrooms had the "wow" factor. Lovely bathrobes were supplied, however, if you wanted slippers you had to contact housekeeping, which most of my family did. Hair conditioner was not already in the bathroom, but again, if you wanted it you just had to contact housekeeping. ( A bit of hassle to be honest, would have preferred to have slippers and hair conditioner already in room).
The pool/spa facilities were fab. After a relaxing swim/sauna/jacuzzi my husband and I decided to take one of the three walks that they advertise......Oh dear! Most of the signage was broken! Had to guess that we were on the right trail. Spoilt my walk a bit as I was worried we would be lost! But it turned out ok.
On arrival back at the hotel we decided to have a cold drink in the bar. £10.50 for 2 ciders! Gulp! Pricey, but the surroundings were lovely.
Evening meal was lovely, and the prearranged birthday cake was brought to our table with a chorus of "Happy Birthday", which the other diners joined in with! A lovely moment!
Following the meal in The Olive Tree we went to Merlins Bar for another drink and then made our way to bed. A good nights sleep, however, I was was woken up a couple of times with doors banging and people talking in the corridor. Soundproofing could be improved.
Breakfast was also in The Olive Tree. This is where some improvement could be made. Tea and coffee were poured out at the table-would have expected pots of tea/coffee at the table. You also had to queue for toast! And there was only one person serving the toast! A tip. If you want toast, queue for it first, otherwise your tea/coffee/hot food will be cold by the time you get your toast. I have never had to queue for toast before and it is not something I would have expected in a 5* hotel. Didn't really spoil the experience, but a bit of hassle and disappointment.
Overall, a lovely time. Would have liked to have stayed a second night to have enjoyed the facilities even more. Perhaps next time.........
- Also Known As:
- Celtic Manor Hotel Newport
- Celtic Manor
- Celtic Manor Hotel
- Celtic Manor Newport
- Celtic Hotel Manor
- Celtic Manor Resort Newport, Wales
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Host of the 2010 Ryder Cup golfing competition, this award-winning resort is set in 2000 acres of parkland in the Usk Valley. It comprises a 5-star hotel and a historic 19th-century manor house. There is the award-winning Forum Spa, as well as 6 restaurants and 3 championship golf courses. There are 2 adventure golf courses and the treetop adventure course Forest Jump. Clay pigeon shooting, fishing and mountain biking can all be arranged. The Celtic Manor Resort features a range of facilities to ensure the success of guests’ business events and special occasions. These include a comprehensive convention centre and exhibition hall, 31 function rooms and 6 restaurants. Rooms all have a TV with satellite channels, and there is a 24-hour front desk. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas, and there is space for free private parking on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Olotels, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Celtic Manor Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.