My partner, Theresa, and I enjoyed a wonderful city break in Edinburgh and it was our first ever visit to Scotland. As always, Theresa did the extensive research into where to stay and came up with The Victorian Townhouse, which turned out to be an excellent choice in every respect.
Our Hostess, Aileen Reeves, was absolutely outstanding both as a person with a "larger than life" personality and as a consummate professional who runs her Guest House with a quiet efficiency and without undue ostentation. From the moment we arrived we were treated as if we had known her all our lives, and by the time we left, we felt that we had!!
We booked The Caledonian Suite and it was superb; no other word for it. The bed was big and very comfortable and we slept well every night. The bathroom was spacious and spotless. There was a very good and efficient shower and always hot water from the normal supply. The towels were big and could be replaced as often as one might wish.
There was more than enough wardrobe space, plenty of comfortable sofas and chairs, a big table and a large, flatscreen television with an excellent picture quality. We had tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities and were invited to help ourselves to fresh milk from the refrigerator in the Breakfast Room.
As is often the case, it's the little extras which can make all the difference, including a "not so wee dram" in a delightful cut glass mini decanter, free Kit Kats and Celebrations as well as tourist literature and other magazines. Above all, the central heating came on in both the evening and early morning, making a huge difference to our overall comfort as it was quite chilly at those times.
The breakfasts were as large or small as you wanted them to be. There were many cereals to choose from, Jams, Marmalade, Honey and the usual condiments. Aileen was more than happy to provide any combination of bacon, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans, and plenty of toast to go with them. She personally greeted every guest at breakfast before taking their order.
This Guest House is ideally positioned and is only a ten minute walk (maximum) from the junction of Princes Street and Lothian Road and close to Haymarket Station. It is therefore very easy to walk to The Castle and the Western end of The Royal Mile and we also walked to Holyrood House as well as many other local attractions. We used the 'buses only four times (apart from the Airport 'Bus) as most of what we wanted to visit could be easily accomplished on foot.
In our opinion, this Guest House is worth every one of the four stars that it currently merits and we plan to return before long and to use it as a base to visit further afield in Scotland. We were sorry to bid farewell to Aileen; she made us so welcome and she is the bedrock upon which her business is built. Long may she prosper!
Denis and Theresa from Bromley, Kent.
- Also Known As:
- The Victorian Town House Hotel Edinburgh
- The Victorian Town House Hotel
- The Victorian Town House Edinburgh, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The property is situated on two floors with the guest rooms situated in the garden flat which has its own private entrance. Guests are provided with a key to enable the flexibility to come and go as they wish. There are 3 Bedrooms all with en suite facilities, a sofa, colour T.V. (with digital Freeview box) and are decorated to the highest standard. Other featuers include; radio alarm clock, hairdryer, hospitality tray with a selection of teas, coffee and biscuits. A small decanter of whisky and crystal glasses awaits your return from a hectic day so you can unwind before retiring to your extremely comfortable bed. The en suite shower rooms are very spacious and finished to a high standard with fresh fluffy white towels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your The Victorian Town House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.