We stayed here for 3 nights over a bank holiday weekend. The large hotel was busy with wedding guests, jazz musicians, marathon runners and Diamond Jubilee escapees. Staff were polite and professional and everything seemed to operate smoothly.
The building is old but generally well maintained. There is a lot of lobby space and communal areas feel relaxed and welcoming. There is however just one small lift for the whole hotel and it quickly fills up when tour groups are checking out together.
We booked in advance and got a rate that included full Irish breakfast for much less than the advertised €10 spur-of-the-moment price. Toast and pots of fresh tea and proper coffee are brought to the table whilst constantly replenished hot and cold buffets are self-service. The Irish breakfast was cooked perfectly with local black and white pudding and very good bacon. Vegetarians can eat egg (fried or scrambled), beans and perfectly grilled tomatoes. Delicious fresh soda bread is available when the bakers are baking and the butter is from a local co-operative. Service was friendly and the restaurant has views over the river Lee.
Our room was average but very clean with a comfortable bed and nicely tiled bathroom. Lots of storage space, trouser press, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, ironing board and iron. More rooms don't have river views than do but those that do appear to be smaller.
The 3-4 lane 20m swimming pool was a treat (swim-hats compulsory and available for €2 if you don't have one) and has a shallow area and separate paddling pool for children. For adults there was also the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room - all were properly hot!
MacCurtain Street is on the north side of the river Lee and an 5 minute walk to the city centre and bus station (or 10 minutes to Kent railway station). The hotel is opposite a Spa mini-supermarket and there are several restaurants and take-aways on the street. You'll be spoilt for Fish and Chip choices and we can heartily recommend The Fish Wife.
- Also Known As:
- The Gresham Metropole Cork Hotel
- The Gresham Metropole Cork Hotel Cork
- Gresham Metropole Hotel Cork
- Gresham Metropole Cork
- Metropole Hotel Cork
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the finest of Cork City Centre Hotels, the Gresham Metropole Hotel in Cork is just a short stroll from the many excellent shops, boutiques, theatres, galleries and of course the business district of Cork, making it an ideal location for Cork City Hotel breaks and business travellers alike. During your stay in this superb Cork city hotel, you will be accommodated in one of 112 tastefully decorated bedrooms, equipped with all necessities to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay.Part of the Gresham Hotels Group, the Metropole Hotel is a 3 star Cork City Centre Hotel designed to cater for the every need of the business professional requiring a hotel in Cork City, from our business rooms, event facilites and suite of twelve conference rooms through to the complimentary Wi-Fi internet access offered throughout the hotel, you will find plenty to make your stay as thought provoking as you would like. All guests staying at the Gresham Metropole Hotel, can also enjoy complimentary access to the Leisure Centre. Leeside Leisure is a White Flag Awarded Leisure Centre with superb facilities, which include a 20m Swimming Pool, with three pool areas, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam Room and a fully equiped gym with cardiovascular and weights area. External memberships are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Olotels, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your The Gresham Metropole Cork reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.