Since my original review, I have been staying at the Holiday Inn Basingstoke, four days a week, for most of the last year.
I originally chose the Holiday Inn because it was the nearest hotel to our office, but I now really like the place. It is becoming like a home-from-home.
Its location isn't too bad. Turn left outside the front door, and It's a fifteen minute walk to the many restaurants, bars, shops and cinema in the town centre. There's a small supermarket next door. There are no on-site sports facilities, but if you ask at reception they will give you a free pass to the gym in the town centre. There are also two very nice parks within a 5 minute walk.
The rooms are good, clean and a reasonable size, with everything you need, including a comfortable bed, en-suite bathroom and shower. They all have very good flatscreen H.D. T.V.s with 20+ digital TV and radio chanels, plus pay-per-view movies.
I am a very light sleeper, but usually sleep well here. Most rooms are nice and quiet, (expecially those in the Executive corridor), but a few of the others do seem to suffer from thin walls, footsteps from the room above, traffic noise, and the occasional clicking pipe.
Wi-fi is available in every room. This does work well, and is pretty fast, but at £5/hour, VERY expensive, unless you can get it included in your room rate. Due to the hotel's position, mobile phone and 3g broadband reception is pretty poor. I have however found that Orange 3G broadband works well throughout the hotel, and mobile phones (except those on the 3 network) are usually OK in the upstairs rooms.
The food is really good. Breakfasts are excellent, with a good choice of traditional english, creal, toast, fruit etc. All good quality, freshly cooked, and piping hot.
Evening meals are availabie in the Restaurant, the bar, or from room service. The new "Best Of British" menu is great, with some nice twists on classic dishes, all good quality and nicely presented. They also have special evenings from time to time, including an Indian Buffet, and an outdoor barbeque.
However, by far the best part of this hotel is the Staff. Always professional and efficient, they make me feel welcome from the moment I walk in, with a big smile and a friendly greeting. Everyone really does go out of their way to make each guest's stay as pleasant as possible.
I am reluctant to mention names, as everyone there works together as part of a great team, but Sarah on reception, and Sucshant and Scott and in bar and restaurant really are outstanding.
Thank you all for a great stay.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Basingstoke Hotel
- Holiday Inn Basingstoke Hotel Basingstoke
- Basingstoke Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Basingstoke Hampshire
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Basingstoke is a modern hotel boasting air-conditioned bedrooms of which 4 are accessible. Located within easy access of the M3, M4, Basingstoke Town and Festival Place Shopping Centre, the Holiday Inn is ideal for both Business travellers and Leisure visitors. Business travellers will find the Holiday Inn Basingstoke located close to the business parks of Viables, Daneshill, and Chineham. ( Motorola, Sony, Huawei). We offer free car parking. Leisure visitors can find easy access to attractions in all directions. To the East are Legoland, Windsor, Thorpe Park and Ascot Racecourse. To the South are Jane Austen House, Winchester and Marwell Zoo. To the West is Newbury Racecourse and Stonehenge. In Basingstoke are the Anvil and Haymarket theatres and the aquadrome leisure complex to which we have complimentary passes. The Bar has a relaxing atmosphere in the evening especially after dining in the Restaurant which offers dishes from around the world. Our lounge provides the ideal location for informal daytime meetings. The Academy Conference and Training Centre has 6 air-conditioned suites with Wireless internet access the rooms can accommodate from 2-140 delegates. The hotel also offers a specialist events organiser to plan your function with a personalised touch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Basingstoke reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.