I have just returned from one night at the Britannia - and I'm very glad it was only one night! This place is run down, shabby and dilapidated and the demeanour of the staff fits this 'ambience' of the hotel perfectly - sadly they also look run down, and who can blame them when they have to take money off honest customers and give them the worst hotel rooms in Manchester in return - and doubtless deal with complaint after complaint as a result.
The whole place exudes an attitude and appearance of 'we just don't care as long as we get your money'. Yes the grand stairwell is a sight to behold, but so was the sight that greeted me when I opened the door to my room. The lack of window isnt the end of the world, but when the furniture, decor and fittings are this drab, shabby and run down the lack of daylight makes things worse. Easier to list things than to write:
1. Stains on old threadbare carpet
2. Hairs on bed linen, including pubic hair in the bed - I wasn't convinced the sheets were clean either
3. Hairs in handbasin, more hairs in bath
4. Drawers with knobs broken off
5. An antiquated 'ventilation system' that did nothing but make lots of noise
6. Dust everwhere
7. Leaking toilet cistern
8. Antiquated TV with a filthy dirty remote that didnt work
9. Poor selection of food for breakfast and waiting staff slouching against any nearby solid object like bored teenagesr or shuffling about clearly wishing they were somewhere else (probably what most of the guests are thinking too - I know I was) with that Britannia hotel 'I just dont care' aura about them
....I could do on, but you get the picture?! and yes I did ask to change room, but no joy from the disinterested receptionist - full, unless I wanted to pay more. To charge GBP70 a night for this dump is nothing short of scandalous (and that was an advance booking WITH a discount!) - the whole place needs ripping out down to bare bricks and mortar and renovating from scratch - its a disgrace when you consider there are many, many nicer hotels in Manchester for exactly the same price and less in some cases.
I would advise you only stay here if you really, really have absolutely nowhere else to stay in Manchester (which is most unlikely given how many bads there are in this city) or if you are unlucky enough to get stranded by your airline/rail company and have no choice (the hotel seems to cater for this sort of thing a lot) or if you are so drunk that you don't care where you stay the night or what conditions you sleep in! The only redeeming feature is the location, but here are other hotels in the same vicinity that share this feature! Never again for me - its a total dive and someone is laughing all the way to the bank at the expense of those of us unfortunate enough to have to stay here.
Just don't stay here - find another hotel - there are plenty to choose from in Manchester.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC