Worst hotel I've ever stayed in in France. Contrary to having an anti-stress effect, it stressed me out royally. Here are some of the reasons:
1. Mildew - the entire hotel smells of a combination of mildew and bizarre spa treatments. The bathroom reeked of it.
2. Soft, sagging mattress - mattress was old and didn't fit into the bed frame, so it had no support. As a result, it had sagged over time and was soft to begin with. Not what you'd expect for a hotel that bills itself as a sleep hotel. I asked them to at least rotate the mattress, but they are understaffed and couldn't do it. I was able to do it myself despite the small space because it's such a crap mattress I could almost fold it in half (and I have a bad back).
3. The "sleep system" -- didn't even have it in the room the first 2 of my 3 nights. When it arrived, it was a speaker on a stand (like something you'd find at the Sharper Image) that displayed colored lights while playing weird music. Laughable, and the glowing time display actually made it harder to sleep, plus it barely fit in the tiny room. I asked them to take it out but they wouldn't it. Unplugged the damn thing.
4. Sharp corners everywhere - the room is tiny and the bed frame had sharp corners which kept barking my shins. Small is fine (it's Paris after all), but then don't put super sharp furniture where there's no clearance.
5. 17 Euro breakfast - nice breads, but nothing made to order. Not remotely worth it unless you are a very big eater.
6. Neighborhood kind of dodgy - not actually in the Marais and the area of the Marais it borders is the less appealing northern part. The desk help assured me the area was safe at night, but there are better hotels in more appealing neighborhoods in the same price range. Not a lot of good dining options in the area.
7. Super mushy pillows that don't support your head. No extras in the entire hotel.
8. Only 1 person working at any given time. If there's a problem, they can't leave the desk for more than a minute, and then there's no one at the desk. Hotel too busy to be so understaffed. I felt sorry for the people working there.
9. Lack of lighting in the room bad for anything other than sleeping. Forget about reading. No overhead lighting in room at all.
10. Key kept needing to be reprogrammed.
11. Door handle that stuck and required force to open.
12. Black out curtains don't block light.
13. Door has no dead bolt. As a solo female traveler, I really didn't like this at all.
14. Almost no shelf space in bathroom.
15. Open half door in shower means floor is easily flooded. Probably why it smells of mildew. On the plus side, the water is really hot (too hot actually, be careful not to get burned) and the water pressure is great. The only good thing about the room.
For a few dollars more you could stay at the Hotel Brighton across from the Jardin des Tuilleries or in the Latin quarter instead of at this uncomfortable hotel in an unappealing area.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for writing a few words about your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.
We are sorry your experience was not positive. We believe there was a misunderstanding about your expectations or the comments you made during your stay because had we known your room was not to your liking, we would have been delighted to offer another one.
As our mattresses are hardly 3-years old, and as we have many compliments about them, we were very surprised that yours did not provide full satisfaction.
We are sorry you missed a NightCove in your room upon arrival. As we are not able to check your actual booking for anonymity reasons, we would just like to let you know that although we are upgrading them little by little, all our room categories do not feature a NightCove yet. We kindly remind you that this device is a lighting and sound sleep enhancement experience. It is not a promise, and as such, can be welcome differently by its various users.
We are sorry you didn’t find satisfaction in our organic breakfast. As we believe in organic food and we choose to favour quality, we decided to offer it as complimentary added value for all our new bookings a few weeks ago.
Your opinion is important to us and we thank you for your positive suggestions. As we are continuously eager to improve our product, we will take them into account in our next improvements.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC