Stayed at the Fleming's Hotel Munich City for 4 nights in April to celebrate a birthday. After extensive research on TripAdvisor, we chose this hotel over others because of its good reviews, complimentary breakfast and free WiFi. There are tons of hotels in Munich and broadly speaking, any hotel near the train station (Hauptbahnhof) are great because the old town is only a 10-15 minute walk away and main transport links are literally across the street. This hotel is next door to the Le Meridien (without free WiFi) and across the street from the Sofitel (a gorgeous building, but you can experience it by having a drink at it's very cool bar). We had a very good experience with Fleming's and only a few minor glitches. To summarise:
The Good Points:
1) Huge room, spotlessly clean and the hotel is very environmentally friendly, with motion-activated lights throughout
2) Great housekeeping, unintrusive, efficient and lovely little touches left in your room such as mini gummi bears and fresh apples each day
3) Very friendly, down-to-earth, front desk staff. They recoommended some great restaurants and were always on hand with a smile
4) Fabulous duvets, great in-room amenities from The White Company London
5) Location: you really can't get much better. Sure it's near the train station and not the prettiest part of Munich, but it's perfectly safe and the train station has some great little shops if you want a quick snack or drink to bring back to the room. Also, our room faced the tram lines on the main road below, and we had no noise issues,
6) Free WiFi - this is really handy, but as with other reviews have pointed out, the WiFi cuts out after 10 mins of non-use, and it gets really irritating having to re-enter your code all the time
7) Breakfast - fantastic and really generous. You can order fresh eggs, any kind of coffee and there's plenty of fruit, meats, cheeses and cereals.
8) The hotel does have a sauna and steam room (although it was out of order during our visit), as well as a small gym. These are located in the basement.
Could Be Better:
1) Pillows - as pointed out by other reviews, the pillows are super flat and there are only two in the room. Housekeeping is happy to bring more, but you really need three of them to feel like you've got any substance under your head!
2) Really a minor point, but the English language in-room movie selection wasn't great. We only discovered this because we had lots of rain and one of us had a cold, so needed to have a night in with room service.
3) Pre-arrival arrangements. Maybe we had bad luck, but I contacted the hotel prior to our stay to ask for a bottle of champagne and a small birthday cake to be sent to the room at check in for my partner's birthday. The hotel emailed back very quickly to say it would be no problem. However, they obviously forgot about it and when I had to enquire about it nearly 8 hours after we'd checked in, we were sent a bottle of pink champagne and two breakfast muffins - not exactly what I'd ordered and not really the most appropriate for a man's birthday! I was a bit annoyed at check out to find they still charged me full price for their mistake, but this was really the only real niggle of the trip.
4) The shower -- if you're modest, you won't like the shower, which is fully glazed in see-thru glass, set right in the middle of the room. It's a lovely shower, but if you're travelling with friends, you may want to choose somewhere else.
Final verdict? A very good hotel in a very good location -- offering lots of nice little touches and very. good hospitality
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
12 April 2012
Report response as inappropriate
thank you very much for your graet feedback!
We´re really happy, that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our "Fleming´s Style". Regarding your ordered present for the birthday we really must apologize. We somehow had a lack of communication in this case. We got the feedback of the failed surprise and immediately took measures to avoid mistakes like that in the future.
We´re really looking forward, to welcomeing you back to our hotel soon.
All the best,
Your Fleming´s Hotel Munich City
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC