My wife and I stayed here in February. The hotel had many a positive and negative aspect to it:
- Staff. They were all extremely friendly from the receptionist, the breakfast staff to the housekeeping ladies. All keen to help when requested and always with a smile. My German isn't the best either and so even though we tried the language most politely replied in English.
- Location. Located in the Kurfustendam, the hotel had an ideal location for a wide selection of bars and restaurants yet it was set back a street from the hustle and bustle and so was still peaceful. It was only a 5 minute walk from the nearest U-bahn on which it only took ten minutes to get to the centre of Berlin.
- Breakfast. The breakfast selection was plentiful. Their we're standard continental options such as breads, meets and cheeses. A range if cereals as well as cooked options everyday.
- Noise. When the hotel was constructed, I think they had a shortage of stone and so they made the walls with paper. I felt like we were sharing our room with the people next door who were keen on getting 'acquainted' reguarly. Probably not as keen once i'd told them to shut up :-)
- Smokey. Since the smoking ban in the UK, we tend to take it for granted that places tend to smell fresh and you can leave a place not smelling musty. However, corridors were definetly smokey despite the no smoking signs. Something that my pregnant wife wasn't so happy about.
All in all, we didn't pay through the roof to stay at the Franke and so didn't feel too aggrieved by the negative aspects above. If you are looking for somewhere not too expensive to use as a base for a trip to Berlin I would recommend the Franke. If you were more interested in luxuries I would advise looking elsewhere.
Take earplugs as the walls are incredibly thin
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC