We chose the hotel for a relaxing 4 day end of season break and it lived up to all of our expectations . From the very friendly welcome ; excellent service throughout all parts of the hotel ; great food ; and wonderful location it is difficult to fault the hotel without being petty ( but I will do so anyway ! ) .
1. Don't be shy to let the hotel know of any special occasion . I am about to celebrate a big birthday ( it has an 0 in it...) and my wife surpised me by organising a birthday cake on arrival and she secured us a fabulous free upgrade to a large room with terrace .
2.The outside terrace is spectacular both during the day and at night with its views over Palma and the sea .
3.Having read earlier reviews , I was prepared for overpriced food but we were pleasantly surprised . We ate in the best restaurant , Es Vi , on the first night and had a near Michelin star quality meal . Two courses (we were too full to manage a sweet) were in reality four or five courses once the excellent complimentary dishes were taken into account . Admittedly we are not wine drinkers , but the cost for two of 142 euros was perfectly acceptable , and we both had lobster as a main .
4. Head to Simply Fosh in Palma for another superb meal . Ask the hotel to arrange a taxi ( 12 euros each way ) as it is tucked away down narrow streets . An unassuming exterior leads to a riad style interior with the restaurant wrapped around a courtyard . Expect an extraordinary mix of dinners from those in classy evening attire to some in cut off jeans/shorts . A great experience with equally fabulous food .
5.The town centre in Palma is good for shops but for the old town and more interesting buildings head more towards the cathedral .
6. For a huge Sunday market in an attractive town , drive 20 minutes to Santa Maria del Cami . Mix with the locals and grab yourself some bargains ; especially leather bags , but make sure you bargain hard - aim to pay 50% of the initial price quoted .
7.If you stray off the main roads in the mountains , be prepared to be scared . The roads are narrow with hairpin bends and jaw dropping drops !
8. Minor gripes coming up : First , as many others have stated , there are no tea making facilities in the room . Best to take a travel kettle and tea bags etc . A cup of tea for two in the room will cost you 17 euros ; they may not bring you any milk ; and it wont be the best cuppa you have ever had . The English Breakfast tea is made in Germany ( enough said ..) .
Secondly , I am reliably informed by my wife that many ladies prefer to dry hair and get made up at a dressing table in the bedroom rather than bathroom . So why is there no mirror in the
bedroom ? To be fair , room service brought a good size mirror and a hairdryer promptly .
In summary , we had a wonderful trip based around this fabulous hotel .The five star rating has been devalued with all sorts of inferior hotels claiming this accolade, but the Castillo Son Vida is a true five star hotel and well worth a visit . We shall certainly return .
- Also Known As:
- Castillo Hotel Son Vida
- Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel Palma De Mallorca, Majorca
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Castillo Hotel Son Vida is a turreted 13th century building in a characteristic Mallorcan country house style. The hotel is surrounded by Mediterranean gardens and the golf course Son Vida and two other golf courses; Son Muntaner and Son Quint are only two minutes away. It offers magnificent views over the city and the bay of Palma. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.