We stayed here for 4 nights in August, and arrived at 10pm at night, expecting a room on the lower floors, but were surprised to be allocated a room on the top floor, which was great. I would expect that any room on floors below the 6th level would not have such a great view.
When we arrived the air conditioning did not seem to be working properly, the room was very hot despite setting the temperature to 12 degrees. We mentioned this to the staff and it was resolved, though not until the next day (they thought it was fixed at first but it wasn't). The air conditioning was also quite noisy, and there were squeaks, moans and groans coming from the grille but we found that be reducing the fan strength this problem was resolved. We didn't mention this as there had been enough complaining about the temperature.
As others have said the hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from La Rambla, and the 2 nearest Metro stations are also 5 minutes walk (Liceu and Paral.lel) both on Line 3. The walk to La Rambla from the hotel is slightly unpleasant (prostitutes, homeless, beggars etc) but we had no trouble even at night as there are plenty people about.
The roof top is open all day and offers 360 degree views of Barcelona, which is great, and especially in the evening as the sun is setting. There is also a bar, we didn't use it but it seemed to be quite popular. The pool is hardly that, perhaps just a large bath. I never noticed anybody in it during my stay.
The rooms are spacious, and beds huge. The facilities within the room are great, a coffee machine, well stocked mini-bar, TV, iPod dock/clock, (the display can be dimmed to black if you like your room dark), remote controlled curtains, books, magazines, toiletries, safe, double sided suspended mirror, plenty wardrobe space and a large shower, which as others have pointed out, is not separated from the main room.The toilet and wardrobe are behind a sliding door, and only one half can be accessed at a time. It didn't matter, but might if you were staying with a colleague, or friend as I didn't notice a lock on the bathroom half of the door.
The lighting above the bed was neon pink, which was a nice touch but can be switched off if preferred. The views out the window were somewhat spoiled by the iron grille running the entire circumference of the hotel. Am not quite sure what purpose this served as you couldn't open the door anyway. There was also no peephole in the door, which I thought was standard these days. It didn't matter, but was noticed.
The staff were friendly and helpful, no problems there, but the reception seemed to be understaffed at some times. The room was always tidied, bed re-made perfectly (they must re-iron the duvet daily it was so smooth!) and supplies restocked everyday, and this was nice to come back to after a day walking around Barcelona.
We enjoyed staying here a lot, and if we were to go back to Barcelona would certainly stay again.
Had there not been the annoying grilles over the windows or problems with the air-conditioning, which meant we had one hot night (I assume only our room), I would have given 5 stars, but would have no hesitations staying here again realistically should be awarding 4.5
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Raval Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelo Raval Hotel
- Barcelo Hotel Raval
- Barcelo Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelo Raval Barcelona, Catalonia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barceló Raval **** hotel is strategically located in the heart of Barcelona, in the fashionable Raval district, one of the city's trendiest areas and an epicentre of art and culture. The Barceló Raval hotel has become a symbol of the transformation and modernity this area of the city’s old quarters is experiencing, due to its unique oval architecture and exquisite avant-garde interior design. In its 182 modern rooms and 4 sophisticated suites you will find an iPod docking station, a Nespresso coffee maker, an original 'ReFuel' minibar concept and, an innovative 'ReCharge' room service. This singular and central city enclave is the meeting point for the people of Barcelona and tourists to enjoy the city in all its splendour. The delectable terrace of the restaurant-bar-cocktail bar, B Lounge, the spectacular 360º terrace and the Manuel Vázquez Montalbán terrace allow guests to enjoy a complete Raval style enjoyment of the meals and cocktails. In a firm commitment to its cosmopolitan and international character, the Barceló Raval**** offers a gastronomic choice which combines Asian, Arabic and Indian cooking techniques with the most traditional Catalan cooking. Taking care of every last detail, and using only the best ingredients from the Mediterranean coast and the famous Boquería food market. Salads, filled baguettes, bikinis, frankfurters, burgers and Raval-style tapas are just some of the delicious suggestions you can enjoy on this terrace which is open to the public. Don't miss out, come and enjoy the best DJ sessions in a very special ambience. And to crown this extraordinary building, there is a roof top terrace where you can bathe in the swimming pool-sun terrace whilst enjoying panoramic views of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Priceline, Orbitz, Splendia, Travelocity, Tablet Hotels, getaroom.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Barcelo Raval reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.