A disclaimer - I've travelled very extensively, and have stayed in the nicest hotels/resorts & the cheapest hostels/motels etc. So this review should be seen as a fair & objective one from a very experienced traveller.
Hotel Leidseplein was terrible. Poor service, poor attitude from staff, poor rooms. The only positive about this place is its convenience & location to Leidseplein (party central in Amsterdam). Apart from this, there is zero redeeming quality in this place.
1. I was traveling in a big group of 35 people (a student group from university). They screwed up my booking. I was promised 2 x twin-rooms, 1 x 4-bedder room, 3 x 10-bedder (six rooms in total). They claimed they never promised me this, and they had no twin rooms. They later admitted that they CHANGED my booking without informing me & without my prior agreement. We were given only five rooms, and trust me, boys had to share with girls, and everyone was very unhappy.
2. It took them more than 18 hours to check us in. They did not give us the correct number of beds, and had to prepare the beds and this took FOREVER. No explanation was given.
3. They decided that since there were two big groups (including ours), we had to take turns for breakfast, which is fine IF WE WERE TOLD IN ADVANCE. We were told that breakfast is 8-9:30a.m. when we checked in. However, on the first morning of our first breakfast, a student woke up at 6am and noticed that papers had been stuck on our doors stating that we could only do breakfast from 7-7:30am. The hostel staff did not inform us about this sudden change - what if we woke up after 7:30am? They even had the gall to berate us when some in our group could not finish by 7:30am.
4. They wanted to CHANGE THE FLOORBOARDS in our rooms WHILST we were still staying in the rooms. We asked them why they wanted to change the floorboards, they replied that since we would be out in the afternoon, they would take the opportunity to change the floorboard. This is crap. If you want to change floorboards of a room of 10 people, then do not rent out the room. We complained about this, and the workers said it was impossible to change floorboards when there was so much luggage in the rooms. So thankfully, they did not change the floorboards, but it was simply ludicrous that they wanted to do so while we were still staying there.
5. In each room of 10-12 people, there is only one toilet with one toilet paper roll. There was no staff on hand to replenish toilet paper, or clean the toilet. In fact, there was NO STAFF at all! We had to keep begging them to give us more toilet paper. This was really humiliating. The staff would look frustrated and said they ran out of toilet paper. The staff actually went to the "lobby" toilet and took the toilet paper from there, and said "here - use this first".
6. They decided to paint the walls inside the hostel & NOT INFORM PEOPLE. There were no signs saying "WET PAINT". This resulted in people getting wet paint all over their clothing, arms, legs etc. Again, no apology from the staff.
7. While we were in the lobby, I overheard this Spanish girl complaining loudly to the staff that someone had USED HER BED & removed her things placing her things elsewhere. She demanded to have her bed back, but the staff refused to give her her original bed.
In short, there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. It's true that you get what you pay for. But I've stayed in hostels that are cheaper, safer, better maintained, better run etc. So it is not an excuse at all that because it is cheap, therefore patrons are treated badly.
PLEASE DO NOT STAY THERE.
- Also Known As:
- Leidseplein Hotel
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsNL, Travelocity, Priceline, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Leidseplein Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.