We booked a weekend special, the Bacchanalian Feast, 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast, matching wines with dinner (sommeliers choice) and a case of wine to take home all for £299.
The hotel is a modern building but manages to create a cosy and comfy feel in the communal areas. The reception, lounge and bar areas are warmly decorated in oranges and browns and there is plenty of comfortable seating. The restaurant is quite large, on two floors, but not overwhelming. A wedding was in full swing when we checked in on Friday evening but this didn’t impact on us in the bar or the dining room.
The room was very comfortable. A king size bed, plenty of pillows (we asked if there were feather pillows available and they were promptly supplied) complementary refreshments and toiletries. Large thick towels, a safe, iron, ironing board, hairdryer and flat screen TV, no fridge, and internet connection at a daily cost, although if you upgrade to a suite or deluxe room they are supplied. We didn’t intend spending any time in the room apart from sleeping so saw no point in upgrading.
The Wine Press restaurant was very pleasing. Evening meal service was good and the food well presented and tasty. The menu changes daily. Hot buffet breakfast with a wide choice of fruit, pastries, cereals, cold meats and cheeses. The only thing we disliked was the bacon, thick but not crispy. We also ate a bar lunch on both days, tasty but a bit expensive!
We fully utilised the gym, swimming pool and spa area. Excellent facilities, exceptionally clean and not too busy. Changing rooms have a full range of products with hairdryers and straighteners in the ladies.
We booked in for several treatments in the spa, full massages, wraps, body scrub and a pedicure. We were very pleased with all the treatments received. We didn’t feel hurried and were well looked after.
We went with the intention of doing nothing but relax all weekend and we weren’t disappointed. I have been to several other spas, Champneys and Whittlebury Hall but feel this delivered the best value and all round service and we will definitely be going back for another long weekend very soon.
- Also Known As:
- Donnington Valley Newbury
- Donnington Valley Hotel Newbury
- Donnington Valley Newbury, Berkshire
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following a recent £14 million redevelopment, this 111 room, privately owned 4-star country hotel in Newbury, Berkshire with a state of the art spa and 18 hole golf course, offers spa and golf break guests the perfect leisure destination. Rurally located in the heart of Berkshire's rolling countryside, Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa is home to England's most exciting new Health Club and Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Donnington Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.