The first time we stayed at the Hydro (in Sept 2011) it was fantastic the staff were very attentive, the accomadation was lovely (rooms a bit dated but clean and with plenty of character), it is a brilliant location and best of all the food was amazing. Myself and my daughter couldn't wait to go back.
This time we booked it as a treat for my mum and dad as well. We found a deal on a discount website so we booked it. We were so excited about going back but our excitement soon faded on arrival!!
When we checked in we were told we could only book a 5 course taster menu for £25 for dinner!! This was ridiculous, none of us could eat a 5 course meal plus they didn't do a childrens menu so I would have to pay that for my daughter as well. After lots of discussions the receptionist said we could have the 3 course meal for £18.95!! This was still ridiculous as we only wanted a main meal or we might have been tempted with a starter but we are not pudding eaters, we either had to have a 5 course set meal or 3 course! This was so annoying as one of the reasons we returned was for the food.
That night we had dinner down the road but the 2nd night we were told we could have bar snacks so decided to do this. We then realised bar snacks finished at 6pm!!! It was a bit early for bar snacks to end so again after lots of discussions we managed to order bar meals but again I had to pay full price for my daughter as there was no childrens menu and they wouldn't half the portion.
We also had interconnecting rooms and kept asking for the key and never got it. The wallpaper was coming off the walls (not just a little bit!) the carpet was like a thick shag pile and who know what was inside it!!
Booking through a discount website we felt like we were not treated like normal hotel guests we felt like second rate citizens and didn't get a good service (when we booked before we booked through the hotel and that was about the same price as our discount deal anyway) so we shouldn't have been treated any different.
POINTS TO NOTE:
1. There are no facilities for younger children, there is no childrens menu (which would not be hard to do), no playrooms (but there is enough rooms for one) nothing to welcome young families
2. The hotel caters more for the elderly.
3. The TV's are soooo dated we even found a TV room but the colour made it unwatchable.
4. There is no evening entertainment (only for coach parties)
5. They had an open fire in one of the rooms which was lovely but we couldn't get near it as there were people there with their dogs (3!) sat infront of the fire.
I think there are a lot of wasted opportunites at this hotel, like putting in a pool table in one of the many rooms, offering a childrens menu and putting more on for children i.e have a cosy room with story time in the evening, have things to do in the evening like bingo etc in one of the many funtion rooms. This is definately not a family friendly hotel!
This hotel has a lovely location but remember you only get what you pay for!
- Also Known As:
- Windermere Hydro Bowness On
- Windermere Hydro
- Hotel Windermere Hydro
- Windermere Hydro Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Olotels, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Windermere Hydro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.