My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night as we wanted to get away from work and have some peace.
When we arrived one half of the new managers was outside doing something with the bins! (they have only been there for three months). We had what I think was the best room with a balcony (£128) so we could sit and rest and look at the sea. A good touch was the binoculars but the TV didn't work at all and the shower kept going cold. We had a grat lunch in the lovely garden which had sea views, we had home made tea in the funny sitting area. However, on coming back from a stroll at 8pm the dining room was closed and we had to g out to get supper. Breakfast was ok but the service not awfully attentive.
The 'hotel' is on a quite walking path so nice to stroll but the peace and quite was spoilt by the noisy people who came back at 1 30am shouting and banging and no one seemed to tell them to be quite, also in this room you can hear what's is going on above you. For the huge price, you are paying for the sea view, without that it would not have been a good stay, we probably wouldn't go back. The new owners are going to do renovations over the winter and from what they told us I don't think we will like it. The place served its purpose for us and it was a good break and the owners are trying hard to make it nice, wifi very slow.
- Also Known As:
- The Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- The Clifton Hotel
- Clifton Hotel Shanklin
- The Clifton Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clifton’s privileged location on the cliff top offers an amazing sea view and makes it an ideal retreat for those in search of tranquility. The Conservatory Bistro offers a stunning view of the bay which can also be enjoyed from the lovely garden offering the perfect visual tonic to relax and revitalise, perhaps with a good book and an English Cream Tea, or refreshments from the licensed bar. Local is Best……with prime farming land all around us and a host of specialist growers and producers making the most of it, we usually have access to plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables, as well as quality fish and meat. The garden opens out to Keats Green and the lovely walk between Shanklin and Sandown (part of the Isle of Wight Coastal Path) with fantastic views across Sandown Bay. This also leads to the famous Shanklin Chine with a pathway down to the sandy beaches. Within easy reach by foot are the picturesque Shanklin Old Village with its thatched roofs, and the beautiful Rylstone Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Clifton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.