I can understand why some people review this property at a 4 or 5, but it's hard for me to do that. I will quickly point out why and let you make your own decision.
1. I had a different expectaion for service at something that is this expensive. My husband and I do a yearly trip and this was our first to the Caribbean. I'm not sure if it's that area or this hotel, but the service was not there. Don't get me wrong, the people were very nice and friendly, but you had to flag them down for a drink. It is slow season and there might be 3 people in the restaurant for breakfast, but you are flaffing them down for refill or hot sauce, etc. because they are standing around talking to 2 or 3 other employees. In the past I have went to resorts by the 2nd day they know what you like to order and come over with it or come over and ask you if you want one. I had times where my 1st drink was empty for an hour before anyone asked if I needed anything. That same service translated over to things like cancelling our helicopter. My husband and I discussed canceling the helicopter back to the aiport since we took one from the aiport. Nothing wrong with it, but you do it once and could have skipped it the 2nd time. The day before we left the entire town of St. Lucia was closed because of a tropical storm that was to be around for 24 to 48 hours. We assumed that if the town shuts down due to weather that a helicopter isn't going up. When we were told differently we said we would prefer to drive just because we didn't feel it safe and they shot right back with a cancellation cost. So wait you can call me and move around our sunset cruise from day to day based on other guests needs, but I cannot tell you I changed my mind on my transportaion method in light of a storm. Sorry, but if there was a fee I expected them to pick it up or fight the vendor that provides the service. When we did arrive to the helicopter that day they also added they had to move people around and change the type of flight back becasue they had 2 cancellations. I guess I wasn't the only one..I just never saw anyone go above and beyond the entire time I was there.
2. Quality-Our room was nice, but I will skip that story of calling Orbitz for a refund because the room they showed and what the hotel gave us was not the same. I don't know whose issue that was, but appreciate the hotel did do an upgrade after Orbitz called them. I did get an upgrade to a beautiful room and I still was not used to the fact they had the bottom level without air conditioning. Again just not something that I ever had experienced at any resort.I didn't hang out in the lower living room/kitchen level much because it was so hot, but thank goodness the air was great in the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. One day we were told that they were wokring in a neigboring room and we said fine no problem. We came downstairs to find the entire level flooded from a hose they left running off the neigboring balcony onto ours and flooded the entire bottom floor. They had a big rug in the lving room level and had to take it out and it ruined a pair of my shoes. I didn't ask them to pay for the shoes, but just shocked that they didn't offer a credit for dinner or something when you do that, but again back to the service I didn't see.
As for the food at the restaurant it was good and not great. I think the difference between my reviews and others could be that I live in Chicago. We have lots of good places here and I think they all have air conditioning. Again just amazing to me that a hotel like this doesn't have one option to eat in a air conditioned place unless you order room service or leave the property.
The good was the people were nice, the views were amazing, but I'm shocked at the 5 star. That is really the reason I wanted to leave details for potential guests to figure out for themselves. If no AC or average service are things that don't bother you because you want to be close to the ocean and have amazing views, etc. this could very well be the place for you. I personally don't like to be uncomfortably hot on vacation and I only do it once a year so service is important to me and this place just didn't have it.
Again I want to say that some guests who had stayed at other resorts in St. Lucia said this was so much nicer. It just wasn't better compared to our last two trips in Costa Rica and Riviera Maya that were half the cost.
One more thing that I have to add is sleep quality now that I have to rate it below. The beds are fine, but as soeone else wrote you can hear everything. We didn't have annoying neighbors, but we were close to an area of the external road where people beeped as they rounded a corner and we heard it each time and any truck or car that was loud or people yelling at the beach. I'm not sure if that is just the structure, but I ddin't sleep well becasue I was always woken up by some noise right outside the room.
Since Ross replies to all the reviews that are not favorable with comments of why the person is wrong I will add that we tipped that help, but I did say service was bad. My husband and I just cannot drive up to a resort like this and see how many of these folks who work there probably live and not give them something extra. Just in case he wants to write that I tipped them and complained of bad service, heads up.
- Also Known As:
- Cap Maison Hotel Cap Estate
- Cap Maison Hotel
- Cap Maison Gros Islet
- Cap Maison Hotel Gros Islet
- Cap Maison St. Lucia/Cap Estate
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cap Maison is a new family owned and managed five star boutique resort. Located above a beautiful secluded sandy cove on the north west coast of St Lucia, Cap Maison offers luxury private villa suites, many with private rooftop pools. Facilities include a waterfront fine dining restaurant, spa, fully equipped fitness centre, walk in wine cellar, beach club with chaise lounge service, free non motorised water sports, a hiking and running club, private 46 foot resort boat, club lounge with (computer access) and concessionary golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Tingo, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Cap Maison reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.