It has now become a family tradition for us to stay at the Rydges Capital Hill on our way to and from the snow. However, as other reviewers have noted, it is not the case that this is a great destination hotel but, rather, that the conveniences outway the cons.
Cons: The bedrooms are looking decidedly worse for wear. On our latest way through, there were ants in the bathroom and the bulb in the floor lamp was out and, we were told, all the spare bulbs were locked up in a storeroom for the night. As well, the "air conditioning" only blew hot air -- even on the coldest setting -- so the advice we were given was to just turn it off. Many of the staff seem to be new to working in a service industry -- on this occasion we had to ask 3 staff members to refill the pancake-making machine before it got done (by the lady who looked the busiest, bussing tables in the restaurant area) and on a previous occasion we had to wait a couple of hours to get a bathtub plug so that we could wash our kids in the bath. Finally, for the size of the suites, it is a pity that there is only one toilet and, to get to it, one has to walk through the bedroom.
Pros: After initially booking a double room, as few years ago, we have built our way up to nowadays booking an Embassy Suite for our stays. This gets us an ensuite bedroom with an adjoining living room in which the two sofas are pulled out into double beds for each of our two kids. I don't know who the hotel architect originally envisaged sleeping in these suites, but they certainly provide ample space in which our family of four can spread out. The buffet breakfast is generous. Free Guest Rewards membership gives one a discounted, online room rate, complimentary drink on arrival, and occasional special offers. Finally, the hotel's online booking page is easy to maneouver around.
Tip: Keep checking prices as 'package rates', which may include breakfast, parking and/or tickets to local attractions, frequently come up and may well turn out to be a better deal than what you have already booked.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Hotel
- Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Hotel Canberra
- Rydges Capital Hill Hotel Canberra
- Canberra Rydges Capital Hill
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges Capital Hill is the ideal Canberra hotel from which to base your stay in the Nation’s Capital. Whether you are visiting for leisure or business, you’ll find everything you need within close proximity at one of the best Canberra accommodation providers. This Canberra hotel is 500 metres from Parliament House, surrounded by the busy business districts of Barton and Parkes, walking distance to Manuka and Kingston, and close to most of Canberra's national attractions. The city is a 5 minute drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, HotelsClick and Venere so you can book your Rydges Capital Hill Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.