After traveling around Europe for sometime I have learnt if you want to party like a dog with the whole hostel 24/7 find something in the middle of town. You will join in (whether you like it or not) day and night but either pay top price or pay in a loss of quality. Best places are usually edge of town and here is where I found the Nomads. For "real" backpackers, not those on a budget holiday paid for by their parents, this is gold.
I'm not a backpacker anymore but often need budget accommodation and this was so much more.
Most of the staff seemed to be backpackers and that in itself created a cool atmosphere, though some were learning the jobs they were doing; hell we all have to learn something at sometime.
There was a bus shuttle into town every hour, or a 20 - 25 mins walk along the fantastic esplanade taking in the mangroves and great hills that surround the beach; you can party when you want. The dorms were spacious and clean with male and female only and mixed. The bathrooms were well looked after with no hunting for toilet paper or cleaning sinks before you use them.
There are good economical twin and ensuite rooms too and the staff were only too happy to show me a selection so I could decide what I wanted to stay in.
The pool is awesome with the bar next to it, cheap drink offers and a 3 hour happy hour, 2 pool tables sports on the big screen and music for all (I didn't make the poker night) This is also where the $3 meal was served, a good vegetarian staple and a good menu with great burgers and steaks. Nice to see some of the locals mixing here too.
The kitchen facilities were like everything else spacious (including massive fridges to store your food) and clean and everything worked, yay!
Actually came on a budget for business in Cairns but there was enough to do at Nomads on its own to make it feel like a holiday, with free walking trips and the snake visit was brilliant with a free photo session and info on what to do if bitten.
The only real downside is it's right near the airport, but the planes don't fly at night and I'm happier being disturbed by a plane at 7am than someone throwing up outside or inside my dorm at 3am
I'm coming back, and I haven't been able to say that about a lot of pensions and hostels I've stayed at over the years; and I'm bringing the family too! If you want a 4 star hotel go pay the money if you want a good value, quality, clean, fun, layed back hostel this is it.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Serpent Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Nomads Serpent Cairns Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nomads Cairns backpackers resort is a 4 ½ star AAA rated budget accommodation with resort style facilities and onsite Serpent Bar, and has been designed to provide you with a great night's sleep. Located only minutes away from the Cairns Esplanade, gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, it includes everything you need to enjoy Tropical North Queensland in style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HostelBookers, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Nomads Cairns Backpackers and Serpent Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.