September, and my third visit to Knight Inlet Lodge in Glendale Cove. After more than fifty years travelling the world as a travel reporter for radio and television I can honestly say that this is number one of only three places that I return to at my own expense for sheer pleasure.
What more can I say?
Perhaps adding something not mentioned by other reviewers; the rain forrest walk. It should not be a top priority if you have only a short stay, but it gives you a wonderful insight into the real habitat of the bears and of some of the pioneers of the area. You won't see any bears (hopefully) but you will be amazed to realise that a couple lived and raised a family in this wilderness.
And after being at the stands and seeing the salmon making their relatively easy way up the channel to the weir and into the spawning channels, on this walk you can sit and watch them fighting their way up the waterfalls to their birthplace, and realise just how hard is this last great journey for them, and how few make it.
And if you are lucky enough to have time to stop at Billy Proctor's 'museum' on the way home
from whale watching in Johnstone Strait I would urge you to purchase his life story 'Heart of the Raincoast'. Again, a great revelation of pioneering life in the area that incidentally gives emphasis to the environmental stewardship of the Lodge and all who contribute to it - which includes us, the visitors.
- Also Known As:
- Knight Inlet Hotel Glendale Cove
- Knight Inlet Hotel
- Knight Inlet Resort All Inclusive
- Knight Inlet Lodge Canada/British Columbia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Knight Inlet Lodge is Canada's premier grizzly bear viewing destination. With over 15 years of experience and a world wide reputation for excellence we are the place to see grizzly bears in British Columbia. Our remote floating lodge has 16 guests rooms and offers a full range of activities for our guests including hiking,kayaking, marine wildlife tours, tracking and whale watching. Open from mid May until mid October with pacakges starting on any day of the week. ... more less