I had always wanted to stay at the MO having previously stayed at a number of other Bangkok hotels and I had a pretty good idea of what to expect and can safely say that the hotel exceeded my expectations in every area.
We stayed for three nights in one of the authors suites, and made use of the airport limo service as we had just finished a hectic week in London and were looking for ease of passage and as relaxing a three days as possible.
First impressions were excellent. The limo driver was courteous, cold drinks, cold towels, bags taken away in an instant.
Checking in at the hotel was faultless. Even though we arrived at the hotel at 8.15am our room was ready. Check in was conducted in the privacy of the room, was efficient, and the bags were with us in no time.
As to the hotel itself. It was just how I imagined it to be. It had a certain level of old world charm but not too much that you would call it behind the times. So refreshing after the albeit functional but soulless modern hotels of today.
The pool area is great, peaceful during our time there, and the riverside location is very desirable and their main restaurants make great use of the location.
Across the river is the spa and gym along with another restaurant, easily accessed by the hotels regular boat service - a highlight in itself.
As to the room. What can I say? It was incredibly comfortable in every sense, and I couldn't really find a negative if I tried. The butler was great, and there to be used whenever required. For example, after 6pm the hotel requires guests to don long trousers in the lobby and certain restaurants require a jacket in the evening. Now my jacket was in a shocking state after the last flight so what does one do? I know...call the butler. Within one hour my perfectly pressed jacked appeared. Our butler was also great for local advice, restaurant bookings and that inside info which so often turns an OK experience into a great one.
What was key highlight for me? Overall it would have to be the service. From the bell boys to the butler to the front desk, to the guys who marshal the lifts in the evenings. It was refreshing to witness service as it should be.
Will we return? Yes, for certain. We have finally discovered our Bangkok home!
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel
- Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Colonial-style Hotel dates from 1876, traditional guest amenities, spa and sports center; on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tablet Hotels, Otel, Olotels and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.