I have been out of the middle east for three years and am now used to good North American service rather than overbearing middle eastern service so my comments are mostly about this. I hope management accepts this gift of feedback and turns a good hotel with annoying service into a great one ! This review is more management feedback I guess than it is for other travellers.
Comments on room
- room nice, moving wall to bathroom a very cool surprise, almost perfect design had you thought of one thing - how to lie in the bath and watch tv ? Had this been achieved by opening up the two rooms then it would have made so much more sense, opportunity lost I guess
- square toilet - the human anatomy is not shaped the same as the bowls which makes for uncomfortable sitting - looks nice but impractical
- bed comfortable and spacious
- storage drawers too small to be useful, echo the fire risk concern about the light in the hangers, if the door was left ajar and the light therefore left on then this could overheat - bad design needs rectified in my view
- linens, very nice
- great shower with rainforest or moving head gives options
- toiletries high quality
- oh my god work to do here - hugely overbearing with clearly too little to do
- whilst writing this review and the previous one three people have bothered me in my room - leave me alone please ! Two for the same thing, minibar which I haven' touched
- get minibar checks to happen during the day not in the evening bothering people
- check in, no you can't keep my passport for 15 mins, take the details you need now and give me it back
- hangers on around reception, please stop trying to grab my bag from me or walking me somewhere, direct me then leave me alone !
- stop leaving the tv on when turning down service, waste of electricity
Restaurant - this needs a section all on its own its so flawed in design and service
- if it's a buffet then stop offering people something they could have got themselves
- Drop the bill on the table rather than chasing people when they'be left already
- Egg service takes twice as long as it should
- Egg service chefs need to understand english
- stop bothering people, stand at the side and watch for who needs help rather than hang around them at the buffet or table - hugely annoying
- cut down the number of visible staff by half so they don't hang around you
- le cruset type serving dishes, no logical place to put the covers and not possible to hold if you have your plate in the other hand
- don't bring a basket of bread when bread is on the buffet
- coffee cafitierres, too much coffee being put in so too strong and poor quality so filters leak giving gritty coffee
- awkward for cold drinks - may look nice to have small bottles to pour from but just provide the same three or four chilled dispensers as other hotels that makes it easy for the user to get cold juice or water without having to wait for a waiter to bring it
- seriously stop asking me if I need anything, I am capable of asking if I do
- no way of making own toast, get the impression that clean inks in the restaurant is more important to management than being able to get what you need easily for breakfast
- Food is really good but is spoilt by poor ergonomics and annoying service
- lunch buffet really great food with same annoying service, just leave people along to enjoy it
I have found the service so overly fawning, yet inattentive when I actually need service and trying too hard that it has spoiled my stay here - my advice to other travellers is to stay elsewhere until the service here matches the decor. Other serious negative for me is honesty - should have made it totally clear that hotel was not serving alcohol on the website.
I was looking forward to some exemplary service and a great place, got the great place with shockingly bad service and was really disappointed. Three stars is generous, almost gave it a poor rating ! Take heed management please, your customers deserve better and will vote with their feet unless you dramatically change how your staff interact with customers.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
26 April 2012
Report response as inappropriate
We are glad that you enjoyed the quality of food and also the unique My Bed Concept. We are extremely thankful to you for your constructive feedback to help us improve in various aspects of our products and services being offered at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche.
With regards to your genuine concern regarding the lights fixture in the closet, please be rest assured that all safety measures were taken into consideration which was then certified by the concerned authorities to ensure we are in line with the safety prerequisites to avoid any fire hazards. Your safety and comfort is our first priority.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the time taken for validating the passport details into our system. You would appreciate the fact that as per UAE law to ensure the safety and security of others, it is mandatory for all hotels to process the passport details of each guest into the system which generally takes 15 minutes. However, we shall look into an alternate solution to smoothen the process.
We have introduced a new buffet concept at the restaurant where the waiters are encouraged to interact with the guests at a personal level. Although offering different options from the buffet to our guests while they dine with us is appreciated by most of them, we do understand and agree that we need to identify the exact need of the guests before offering them anything.
Our constant endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests depends on your valuable feedback. Please continue to do send in your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you give us the opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche in the near future.
Jean-Philippe Bittencourt, General Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC