Stayed at the Tides hotel in Boracay a week ago - as frequent flyers in Asia (we are UK expats who live in HK), this was without doubt the WORST hotel experience we have had in 5 years. Don't be fooled by the alledged 4-stars, clever photos and "modern boutique hotel" descriptions.
1) the hotel is NOT on the beach, nor does it have a proper entrance (you have to drag your luggage thru a busy shopping street to enter), and there is NO view from the bedrooms.
2) there is NO lift / elevator, and the pool and restaurant is on the 4th floor (my wife was pregnant, so this was an issue)
3) staff were as lazy as they were incompetant - e.g they refused to move the poolside umbrellas to the sunloungers, claiming it was too windy (even though there was no breeze), so my wife and i had to sit separately, as she needed shade.
4) the hygene was terrible - at breakfast, there were live red ants INSIDE the Muesli cereal. container, and the scrambled eggs had been congealed solid since 6.30 a.m
5) the final straw was the being RIPPED OFF and put at risk of injury during the Airport Transfer. Upon check-in, we arranged Airport transfer to Kalibo paying 650 PHP per person for a car, boat and private van. When we re-confirmed at check-out, the staff told us it would actually be a public bus! We obviously refused, and after some discussion, they agreed to give us the private van. En route, the hotel staff accompanying then told us it would be a shared van ("5 passengers max") which we were agreeable to. However, when we got to the van, we were forced to squeeze in with 12 others plus driver and luggage, and worst of all, myself plus pregnant wife and TWO others had to squeeze into 3 seats for a 90 minute journey! To add insult to injury, the van driver then asked us to pay him the 200 PHP per head fee or proof of tickets (having paid 650 each). Obviously the hotel staff had disappeared.
Whatever you do, avoid this disgraceful hotel at all costs. There are 100s more honest and better quality hotels on White Beach itself or other parts of Boracay.
- Also Known As:
- The Tides Boracay Hotel
- The Tides Boracay Hotel Boracay
- The Tides Hotel Boracay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tides Hotel Boracay - A uniquely themed boutique hotel that offers exceptional and personalized service. Located at the heart of D’Mall, the hotel is just a minute’s stroll to the pristine white sands and clear azure waters of Boracay’s famous beachfront. After opening its doors in 2007, the hotel has garnered several distinctions including the 2011 Best Beach Resort Hotel by the Top Brand Awards and the 2009 Consumers Choice Award for the Most Outstanding Luxury Destination Hotel. The Tides Hotel was also cited as one of the 44 Places To Go in 2009 by the prestigious New York Times. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Booking.com, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Tides Boracay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.