There is a significant discrepancy between how the St Regis promotes itself (luxury) and the actual experience. If you are going to represent yourself as a five-six star hotel, you need to meet guests expectations.
The staff are not customer-friendly and are not solutions-oriented. Senior management seem to be missing-in-action and the junior, customer-facing staff are not experienced and skilled enough to handle all aspects of their role in meeting guests expectations.
The service disappointed us repeatedly. We were antagonised at check-in and had to fight for access to a room! Fortunately my husband is a lawyer and addressed their breaches and misrepresentation in a way which ultimately got us a room, but he did not appreciate having to turn into a litigator on holiday simply to check in. We subsequently witnessed other guests being antagonised at check-in and fighting for a room.
Butler, what butler?
No one introduced us to our butler or explained his/her role (despite the supposedly 'pesonalised' nature of this service). It remained a mystery to us who our butler was and why we needed a butler. I have read from other travellers that the butlers once offered to unpack and press luggage etc. Clearly those days are over.
Because the hotel was not generous enough to grant us the late check-out we had requested months in advance, we left our luggage in hotel storage while waiting for our departure flight. Due to perishables in our luggage, we specifically requested to a manager that our luggage be stored in air-conditioning, not outside in 30 degree heat. Hours later we discovered our luggage had been left sitting out in the heat on the driveway, contrary to our specific instructions. Yet another let-down from the hotel.
Starwood Preferred Guest
Ironically, upon returning home we received a standard email enrolling us in the Starwood Preferred Guest program, despite feeling distinctly un-preferred during our visit (and I have been an SPG member for years).
By way of comparison, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton Millenia two weeks prior to staying at The St Regis, and the contrast could not have been more extreme. At the Ritz Carlton Millennia, the reception welcome was warm, compassionate and incredibly efficient. Our room status was automatically upgraded. No less than two (!) staff members personally accompanied us to our room upon arrival to ensure we were comfortably settled. Our requests for special food at the breakfast buffet were greeted with a "can do" attitude - nothing was too much trouble.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Singapore Hotel Singapore
- The St. Regis Singapore Hotel
- St Regis Singapore
- The St. Regis Singapore
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly located in the heart of prestigious downtown, the St. Regis is Singapore's most eminent address, where unsurpassed luxury resides. A gleaming landmark of exquisite ambiance, the hotel houses one of Asia's finest private art collections. Experience our legendary service as St. Regis Butlers delight in meeting your individual needs around the clock. Enjoy flawless service by our impeccable staff when wining at Decanter, dining at YanTing or relaxing at the Remède Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Agoda, Amex and Tingo so you can book your The St. Regis Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.