We really enjoyed our week at the Tanjung Aru Resort. The rooms were spacious, clean and with great balconies. The beds were very comfortable and the grounds well kept.
It's the first time we have stayed at a Shangri La property and were impressed by the warmth and friendliness of all the staff (yes, every one of them!) and the family atmosphere. The food was very good and my kids (aged 9,10, 13 and 14) lived for the buffet breakfast each day.
The water park was fabulous for younger kids, and could keep them entertained all day. However, it didn't have much going on for older kids (say 12+) who found themselves a little bored on some days. A game room or something for teens looking to connect with others their age would be a great addition.
Re location, the beach is very small (much larger at Rasa Ria) but it's very picturesque. You have to catch a cab into the city for the restaurants (about 10-15 mins) which was a pain on weeknights when the traffic was bad (i.e. more like 15 mins). However even when you pay for the cab fare you still save money as the food at the resort did tend to be quite expensive relative to the prices in town.
Overall i would recommend it as a great place to relax, or as a luxury base camp while exploring all that Sabah has to offer.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Tanjung Aru
- Shangri La Tanjung Aru
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just ten minutes from Kota Kinabalu International Airport the resort is set in 25 acres of award-winning gardens along the sweeping bay with a private beach overlooking the islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park. The contemporary rooms provide modern luxury and are situated in two separate wings overlooking the mountain or stunning South China Sea. The resort offers a wealth of recreational facilities such as a beach, four tennis courts, a nine-hole pitch and putt golf course, Leisure Centre, fully equipped Health Club and Borneo’s largest kids club. Other facilities include a brand new 2,000 sq. meter pool with tapered shoreline and infinity section for adults, Sunset Bar, Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill, Health Club and Cool Box Ice Cream Bar.In February, 2013 the resort unveiled a brand new STAR Marina. At the STAR Marina, one can choose to go sailing, windsurfing, water-skiing or take a day trip to the island for swimming, snorkeling or scuba diving. Additionally, the marina also offers private charter services, fishing and diving courses and equipment for rent. With seven restaurants and bars, the resort offers a multitude of dining experiences and culinary creations ranging from Asian to international favorites and is also home to the award winning CHI, The Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, AsiaRooms, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.