Stayed here in Jan 2012 for 10 nights.Visit the Maldives yearly so expectations were high. Pretty island, WV nice if a little tired. We were there at the begining of the chinese new year, so there were lots of families with young children . Infinity pool by the beach was nice with larger than average sunbeds, but could be very noisy in the morning due to children (and some adults) shouting and screaming, some of who were unsupervised by parents. One child pulled his trunks down, stood at the edge of the pool and attempted to urinate in it before being quickly intercepted by a staff member. This was one of many incidents that unfortunately detracted from the overall peaceful, relaxing Maldivian experience, but was not a fault of the hotel who were aware of certain behaviours from some guests that others found, shall we say 'unusual'.. We saw some guests trying to catch the rock crabs and were told that they have been found to be boiling them up in the room kettles and frying things on the irons.??.The staff were excellent as were the management team. And any problem you may have had was quickly dealt with, so all credit to them! The food was excellent in all restaurants and really enjoyed dining on the beach under the stars and the Tepanyaki bar. We did have one negative though. We book on a B&B basis as we prefer the freedom to dine where we choose. However we found we had to decide which restaurant we wanted to dine in, at least 4 days in advance to ensure a table, not ideal when you don't know what style of food you would like to eat in 4 days time. Snorkeling from the WV was near impossible due to the shallow water/timing of tides and coral reefs. Strong currents on the side of the island we were staying at, however the security team were often found to be scanning the sea with their binnoculars, making sure all was well.The sunset bar (staffed by lovely Veejay and team) by the WV's was a quiet area to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing cocktail or two during the day and to watch the sunset. However this closed around 6.30pm and the only other place to sit with a drink was the main bar, whose entertainment consisted of the loud boom boom music/bands....arrrrgh!!!! The bar never had many people in there in the evening......I wonder why....?! Suggested they keep the sunset bar open into the evening for those guests who are seeking the quiter life.
Not vasts amount of fish to see snorkeling but we did see some interesting ones. Diving and dive sites were good, spa was good and pretty hot on upselling! Although we eventually enjoyed our stay due in the main to the the dilligence and attentiveness of the staff and mangement, and to be fair given it a 4 rating, it is unfortunately not the island for us, so would not return. We all have different expectations and have found other islands to have been more tranquil.
- Also Known As:
- Velassaru Maldives Hotel
- Velassaru Maldives Hotel South Male Atoll
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Male
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Hotel
- Velassaru Maldives South Male Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Champagne flute anchored in the sand, stem kissed by the tide. Mid-ocean niches of intimacy enshrouded in tropical greenery. Freedom of youth explored, temptations given in to. Off-shore ocean sunset aboard a traditional sailboat. Spa above the water, by the ocean's edge. Moonlit vows, eye to eye with your best intentions laid bare. Maldives water bungalows, villas and suites perched atop the lagoon or nest on the sands. Open-plan, minimalist design frees up the flow of space, revealing uninterrupted seascapes of the Indian Ocean from your bedroom. On your villa's terrace, lose yourself in prolonged romance for the entire night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Velassaru Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.