This was our fourth visit to Komandoo (The last time was 2008).
The rooms are still lovely, but with the addition (Unnecessary in our view) of a flatscreen TV with a handful of satellite channels.
They have taken some of the charm of the island away by sanitising the lagoon (On the Kuredu side of the island) by removing some of the odd clumps of coral which used to have humbugs, trigger fish etc, leaving it rather featureless. The only fish you get for company between the beach and the wall are the millions of small herring by the shore and of course the patrolling Reef sharks & Bluefin.
The bar (Silva's Bar) has been modernised which has again taken away some of the charm and the prices if you are not all inclusive are frightening (USD 11.00 for a Gordons gin). The mini bar prices are better (USD 6.00 for the gin???) The restaurant is still good, the food not quite up to its old standard, however Khalil the egg man is still brilliant at breakfast time.
They have added a new restaurant (Aqua) to the side of one of the jetties which seems totally unnecessary as it was hardly ever used.
There is a new small sunset bar at the water bungalow end of the island which opens betrween 1500 hrs to 1900 hrs which is nice. I think the biggest mistake they made though was in upgrading people from Kuredu to all inclusive at Komandoo to fill up the empty rooms (At least 13 rooms while we were there)which did upset quite a few of the people who had paid full price for Komandoo. So if you want to take a chance of booking Kuredu and then hopefully getting upgraded it could save you around £ 1500.
The staff in the restaurant, bar and reception are all very good and we were well looked after.
Would we go there again? Probably not as the price you pay is now over the top, but it is still one of the best islands we have been to.
- Also Known As:
- Komandoo Maldive Island Hotel Lhaviyani Atoll
- Komandoo Maldive Island Hotel
- Hotel Komandoo Maldive Island
- Komandoo Island Resort
- Komandoo Maldive Island Resort Maldives/Lhaviyani Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Komandoo, opened in 1998, and offers spectacular Beach Villas, magnificent Jacuzzi Beach Villas as well as Romantic Jacuzzi Water Villas (built summer 2005). This romantic hideaway embraces a wonderful sense of style, good humor and warm friendships. The emphasis is very much on the individual. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Komandoo Maldive Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.